high-performance strut options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• high-performance strut options?

We've used the silver 323 KYB on the front and red mirage KYB on the rear with coil overs - we've followed one of the write-ups from here.

Two years have passed and while inspecting the car we're realized that the rears struts are totally shot and the fronts are not good also - could be our springs are too stiff, could be we are driving too hard.

Anyway, we need new struts. Other then KYB, what are the options which would require some, but not much fabrication?
    S/R ZX2 struts are not manufactured any more, what else? Anything?

Maybe some cartridge for the front which would require only the lower mounts but would work on the top as is? We use kia rio strut mounts.
    rusEfi - DIY ECU
    93 EFI: tach cluster, aspire mirrors & spindles. ZX2 master cylinder, BP+G25 swap with a door hinge, rio struts. 205/50r15, 140mph speedometer,rear disk brakes, mini cooper + subaru front brakes rear sway bar

I posted this a while ago. Someone made them work on a Festiva, but they did a good bit of work. You need to lower the perch, and for the rio mounts the guy lathed down the strut rod on top too. I think they will fit in a stock Festiva strut mount much easier. They'd just need the mounting hole drilled out to fit the fatter rod.

EDIT: It was skeeters_keeper that built a working setup from them.

Oh, and the reason I even thought to check these out was that they will take a 200lb spring and handle it pretty well. Stock springs for the strut are 140lb, but I ran with 200lb on my old Neon and it felt right. Not bouncy, but firm.
    Last edited by sketchman; 02-20-2014, 02:34 PM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

VW Mk1 rear shocks work awesome. I'm running KYB gas adjusts for a mk1 rabbit with small body coil over sleeves and 1 7/8" I.D. spings on my DD. They are the perfect length to control body roll and the valving seems spot on as well. I'm running 120lb springs, but this car is lighter than foshogun.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Charlie, what year MK1's are you using?
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Working...
        X