Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14" tires /fresh aspire swap

Hey,
    Didnt swap struts but swaped rearbeam and spindles, baught 14" wheels with mitch match tires, both tires on there rub, whats a size that will clear rear strut flare without using spacer? Do they make longer wheel lug bolts IF i do need a spacer? I dont want to drill it for studs. I really dont want a spacer.
    Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
    Red 88festiva L 4spd
    Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Yes to longer bolts. I took a stock lug bolt to the local wheel place and got a set that uses a hex socket tool to put them on. They
    are about half inch longer than stock. Don't know about the spacer issue on the Festy but I had to use 1/4 inch
    spacers on the aspire to run some honda mesh 13 inch alloys on the rear. I would not think it would
    hurt to run half inch or less spacers.
    admit nothing - deny everything - make accusations

Comment

You don't have to drill it for studs, you get the screw-in kind (use a hex wrench) and use high strength lok-tite. There are long and short screw-in studs. Thread is 12x1.5. Short ones are for old VW beetles, from EMPI, Long ones are for BMWs.

Here are the short ones: http://www.jbugs.com/product/9533.ht...els-studs-nuts
      You can get them without lug nuts too, but this way is cheapest.
      Plan A: Buy three sets, then use one aftermarket lug bolt from a McParts store to make 16. You only need an aftermarket lug bolt if you are mounting aluminum wheels; they are thicker than steelies and need more length on the conical part.
      Plan B: Buy four sets and have four studs/nuts left over, for a spare rear drum for example.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

BMW lug bolts are about 1/4" longer than stock Festiva/Aspire and have the correct seat. I used them on the back along with 1/4" spacers before I got my screw in studs.
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Ill check out the Bmw lug bolts. They are aluminum wheels so i noticed they thicker. They will rub in back if i dont get different tires i dont like spacers because its a little less safe
          Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

All parts stores stock the BMW lug nuts fastivaca mentioned. Thats what I use for my "Bottle Caps" & Vial "Meshies" they are made by Dorman and are considered a in stock item. But you need to go to coil overs in the rear if you dont want spacers.Its an easy task that you can do in a couple hours.You will have to get some custom made shock hats though.Thats the only correct way to do it if you dont want to run a wheel spacer.(The rear stock shock spring is a ridiculously large dia on the Festy & Aspire).Check out the sticky in suspension mods about coil overs-
            Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
            Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
            Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I was looking at the coil over stickie. I noticed they are stupidly big struts for such a little car. I was thinking about hitting the lower catch with a grinder. Im about 1/8 away from clering, dont. Know if grinding the edge is morr dangerous then spacers. I despise spacers. Had an issue before.
              Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

You dont want to grind on the perch thats not a good option. Go with a spacer they arent "Unsafe" they just require the correct hardware.

Comment

What store did you go to to find screw in studd, people make it seem impossible to find them
                  Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Originally posted by Jblair View Post
                    What store did you go to to find screw in studd, people make it seem impossible to find them
                    There are a couple threads on that in this forum.

Comment

Hey,
                      Didnt swap struts but swaped rearbeam and spindles, baught 14" wheels with mitch match tires, both tires on there rub, whats a size that will clear rear strut flare without using spacer? Do they make longer wheel lug bolts IF i do need a spacer? I dont want to drill it for studs. I really dont want a spacer.
                      Festy rear shocks have a lower spring perch. If you swap over to Aspire rears you'll buy yourself another 3/8 inch clearance and then won't have to deal with tires that project further out which may cause interference with the wheel arches. Also a good idea not to get too cocky about over-size tires. The closer to stick to 22 inch or less tire diameter the less problems you'll have.

Comment

Yeah im debating if i should scrap the wheels and tires all together. I dont like the clearance issues. Lugs, springs, fender wells, all not clearing with out more $$.

I baught the BMW Lugs, way better but 3$ each. If i buy struts that is a few bills.

I already baught, tranny, clutch, aspire swap, new tie rod ends, wheels and today tires. In 600$ deep already without my nee tires.
                        Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

By the way, at Autozoe they only look up lugs by applications. It was a 92' BMW 325 that had the lugs
                          Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

Yeah im debating if i should scrap the wheels and tires all together. I dont like the clearance issues. Lugs, springs, fender wells, all not clearing with out more $$.
                            I baught the BMW Lugs, way better but 3$ each. If i buy struts that is a few bills.
                            I already baught, tranny, clutch, aspire swap, new tie rod ends, wheels and today tires. In 600$ deep already without my nee tires.
                            Overly impatient I bought a set of used VW 4x100 13" alloys that fit but needed hub centric rings etc. Ultimately got hold of a cheap (free!) set of Rio alloys in 5.5x 14 and they were perfect in every respect right from the get-go. Only modification required was ball seat lug bolts over from Festy cone seat. No muss no fuss and the clearance bin Nokian Hakkapeliitta 155/65s that they became shoed with instantly gave me a smooth highway ride without wobble or vibration that I'd never believed Festys to be capable of.

Comment

Working...
                            X