Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aspire swap wheel woble

Hey,
    Did aspire swap, front right hasa woble, all bolts are torqued, im not an idiot, but i got parts from JY so my thought is bad bearing? I jacked the wheel up, put in gear, there is woble from center, not bent rim, i swapped rims also to check. I didnt move it more then 5 feet and felt the woble, what do you think?
    Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
    Red 88festiva L 4spd
    Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Jack up the suspected wheel and grab the tire with both hands on opposite sides of tire.Then try to rock the tire in and out. Or you can bang the tire with a sledge (Gently) and you shouldnt hear any clunking. Then if you still arent sure pull the caiper off and turn the rotor by hand and feel/listen for Grindage. Did you turn the hubs by hand when you got them from the Bone Yard?
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Yes I turned them. Didnt feel anything, there is some tire woble when its lifted and shook
      Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

either the axle nut isn't torqued or the bearings are shot. is it making any noises?
        Last edited by zoom zoom; 03-07-2014, 08:26 AM.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Pull the caliper off turn the rotor & listen.You just want to make sure your Ball joint ot tie rod isnt causing the "Play". If you hear Grindage thats not a Ball Joint/Tie Rod.
          Last edited by nitrofarm; 03-07-2014, 01:11 PM.
          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Dude,
            Lesson learned.
            When putting on new tie rod ends for aspire swap #1 festy wont work #2 you have to align your car or the wheels drag enough to feel like your wobeling, #3 it does not work to count threads or mark the tie rod at all.
            Poop!!!

I took the hub off, swapped it, same issue, my friend who happened to stop by saw me driving and said your car is walking all over theplace, you need to align your wheels. Duh!
            Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

I just checked my steering rack. 18 turns either side if you still have the stock festiva rack.
              1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

I have stock rack but im not sure what that means. This is myfirst alignment ever. I took a string from rear tow mount and ran it flat across back tire to front of car, i turned the tie rod until string hit even on both sides
                Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

You wind the tie rod ends 18 full turns either side.
                  1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Are you using aspire tie rods or festiva rod ends ?

Comment

My Aspire swap yielded wider wheelbase at the back then in the front because of using Festy control arms so the string alignment thing doesn't really do much except give you lots of toe-in. Put a flat board or pipe across the front wheels and mark the pavement at a specific distance away from the center of the hub (or edge of the tire) to the front and to the back. Then use a tape measure to see how much the side to side distances differ. These numbers will of course exaggerate the actual condition but at least they'll tell you something.

Comment

Working...
                      X