Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Making mold for front stabilizer to body brackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making mold for front stabilizer to body brackets?

How hard would it be for someone to make a mold to cast higher durometer stabilizer bar bushings for the front of the car?

I'm thinking a mold that breaks in half with a nipple for injecting window weld or other rubber type material to make new bushings to wrap around the front bar and perfectly fill the gap between bar and brackets.

I understand it's a bit of a pain to use and mod the Energy Suspension bushings, so this could possibly be a nice way for someone to put out parts many folks want and need, at a price point that won't be too high.

I'd probably pay $50 for a pair of front bar bushings. The originals are just getting too old.

You'd use either an intact, good condition set of stock bushings to make the mold or maybe the modded (shaped) ES bushings.

Thoughts? Or has this been asked before?

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Why not just buy Nolathane bushings from Australia?
    Red looks nice.
    Last edited by bravekozak; 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM.

Comment

Nice looking bushings!
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Or get them in the US here

Jay Racing SuperPro SPF1478-22K Sway Bar Mount To Chassis Bushing [SPF1478-22K] - Part Information: Requires 1 kit per vehicle Single Kit Contains 2 Bushings Measure bar diameter 22,24,26mm available Vehicle Applications: FORD Festiva WA MAZDA 121 DA1031 & DA1032 MAZDA 121 DB1031, DB1032-52 & DB1033-53 SuperPro  Poly Bushing and Suspension Parts We innovate. Biggest range of suspension bushes & sway bar bushing kits Quality solutions, global service with replacement and performance applications Designed, engineered ,Jay Racing (JayRacing.com) has capabilities to design, engineer, manufacture, and distribute automotive performance racing products for the automobile industry and private racer. These include domestic, japanese import, and european import vehicles.

Comment

I can use my CNC router to make a mold if you're interested Karl - send me a PM
          1991 Mercury Capri XR2 "GTXR2" BPT Swapped AWD Conversion

Rocketchips!
          High Flow B3/B6/BP VAF Adapters for sale!
          Bolt-on Weber Carb Adapters!

Comment

as far as i know and checking their catalog, the nothalane bushings are only available for the WB and up AU festiva. 24mm bore. US festiva is 22mm. they would work on the 24mm GTX bar though.

Comment

Okay, the Nolathane bushings would be $43 per set from Jayracing. I guess that sounds reasonable.

My guess is those are polyurethane, correct? I'd probably prefer just harder rubber bushings myself, for most of my cars.

I know nothing about molding rubber products, however. Anyone else know how hard this would be with a mold?

1. Acquire mold
              2. Clamp mold together after lining it with release (nonstick) agent
              3. Squeeze in appropriate rubberlike goo
              4. Wait for a couple hours for it to cure
              5. Open mold to find a new set of rubber bushings!

Am I close?

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
              X