Aspire swap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire swap question

I've got an automatic 94 aspire parts car locally and I was wondering if there was any difference in the auto and manual suspension?

ATX has thicker rotors and the caliper brackets are also different. Since calipers are usually sold with the brackets, just say the calipers are different.

Go to an online parts place like Rockauto and look up all the spec info for thicknesses, etc. Some brands will list specs; some won't.

That's it.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

ATX Rotors are thicker and calipers are consequently further separated. Suspension might be slightly different (some of my Aspire springs have 1/2 coil more than others) but otherwise shouldn't be any different. If you're 'going to town' on a Festy and doing the Aspire swap whatever brakes you put on will readily beat the pants off what (OEM Festy) you had before.
      You can actually service vented/floating rotors (sorry Advancedynamix for the technical misnomer) in a jiffy and only thing left that's downright stupid are the archaic carryover bearing getup and spacer that KIA used for another 1/2 decade before joining the real world of automotive simplicity.

Comment

Well it was just a car going to the scrap yard next week and I know that the sway bars on the autos are better. Also, I'm bp swapping a festiva so I'm having custom axles made from rio references, so would the aspire hubs work with that? Would it just be better to get the parts from an 03-05 rio?

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter2532 View Post
          Well it was just a car going to the scrap yard next week and I know that the sway bars on the autos are better. Also, I'm bp swapping a festiva so I'm having custom axles made from rio references, so would the aspire hubs work with that? Would it just be better to get the parts from an 03-05 rio?
          Aspire hub spline count and size and Festy hub splines are the same. Sway bars on ATX Aspires might be slightly thicker diameter ( 1 1/16" for Aspire and 15/16" for Festy) but if you read Advancedynamix's rationale on these you might not want one at all. I certainly have enjoyed the added stiffness of mine though.

Comment

Ahh, "suspension," not "brakes!"

Ha!

I was tired. Very tard!! Sorry.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Well I believe I'm getting a pretty good deal on the car parts so I may just pull everything. Since it's going to the scrapper he said $150 for whatever I want to take off of it, and everything is there and in working order, but the car had been side swiped. I just figured that I would get confirmation before picking the stuff up. Thank you all for the information, I really appreciate it!

Comment

Working...
              X