Miata wheels!! wee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miata wheels!! wee

Im going to pick up some miata wheels tomorrow! i will have to get tires. i am thinking 195/70/14. just a little taller than factory 165/80/13

miata wheel specs

'99+ 5-spoke alloy 14" x 6" 45 12.7 lb.

here is a comparison chart from the factory wheels and tires to the ones i want to get

1996 Ford Aspire 105kmiles

Warning: 195/70-14s will be quite tall. Much much taller than stock Miata 185/60-14s. Stock size should fit okay, but not the 195/70s. Wayyyy too tall, unless you plan to jack the car up high. Go to Tire Rack and look up the diameters to compare both.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

^ agreed ! I run 185/60/14
      And this is the very largest tire I could fit .
      There's very little room left with this tire size.
      I don't think even with a lift they would fit , that is with that offset wheel.

Comment

You getting Daisy wheels Gage?

Originally posted by TheGageinator View Post
        Im going to pick up some miata wheels tomorrow! i will have to get tires. i am thinking 195/70/14. just a little taller than factory 165/80/13

miata wheel specs

'99+ 5-spoke alloy 14" x 6" 45 12.7 lb.

here is a comparison chart from the factory wheels and tires to the ones i want to get

92 GL, 98k
        77 Chevy shortbed

Comment

I got 165 65 14s. Look amazing. Haven't driven it yet but no clearance issues at all. I also have fms springs.
          91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
          06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
          95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

He is putting them on an Aspire not a Festiva I believe.Don't know if that makes any difference or not.

Comment

Rick wrote:

"He is putting them on an Aspire not a Festiva I believe.Don't know if that makes any difference or not."

Ha! Those may fit on an Aspire then, due to the larger wheel wells. Since the Aspire has a stock tire size of 165/70-13, we'll use that as base. Now add three times 7mm (70% of 30mm wider tires), then add another 12mm to correct for the extra half-inch of wheel radius. That makes the 195/70-15 ride height (or radius of the wheel/tire combo) about 33mm taller than the stock tires. That's 1 and 1/4" taller.

I know a 195/50-15 will fit an Aspire fine, but that is only 7mm taller than a stock Aspire tire.

The 195/70-14s may fit. They may also rub on something other than the fender edges though.

Another concern is the extra weight you will be adding to the Aspire, especially if it's a stock 1.3. You'll be slowing down your acceleration not just with a heavier tire (the Miata wheels are pretty light so they won't hurt), but you'll also be raising your final drive figure (lowering it numerically). The engine will have to work awful hard to accelerate, and the brakes will work harder to stop once you are going. That rubber around the circumference of your rollers is heavy, and will hurt you. Even just considering the increased height of the car will hurt handling, not to mention the tall 70 series sidewalls!

I still say stock Miata sized tires (185/60-14) would be best. They should cost the same or less, too. Your handling will improve, and your acceleration and fuel economy should be relatively unaffected. These will put you about 6mm taller than stock.

If you really really want 195 width tires, then go with 195/60-14s. Those will put you about 12mm taller than stock. I doubt you will get any benefit from them over the 185/60s though.

Karl
              Last edited by Safety Guy; 08-20-2014, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I would *not* do a 70 series tire.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Wont fit on an aspire either

Wont fit under a modestly lifted festiva, unless you get coilovers, then you'll still be rubbing the fenders when you turn the wheel.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

hey thanks for all the replies! it is going on a 1996 ford aspire yes. Safety Guy's advice and go with a 185/60/14 will give me a smaller tire than i have now factory.... my 165/80/13 tires are 23.39 inch diameter. 185/60/14 would be 22.74

see here
                    185/60-R14 tires are 0.65 inches (16.6 mm) smaller in diameter than 165/80-R13 tires and the speedometer difference is 2.8%

maybe 185/65/14?? thats almost the EXACT same size diameter
                    185/65-R14 tires are 0.07 inches (1.9 mm) larger in diameter than 165/80-R13 tires and the speedometer difference is 0.3%

these tires

or these

here are the wheels i am getting. they weigh 12.7lbs each

Last edited by TheGageinator; 08-20-2014, 05:53 PM.

Comment

NICE!

I would rock a set of those on my Black GL Sport!
                      Last edited by drddan; 08-20-2014, 05:50 PM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

im getting all 4 wheels for $50. the tires are bald. i was going to get them today, but looks like it will be tomorrow....
                        Last edited by TheGageinator; 08-20-2014, 05:57 PM.

Comment

$50 ! I smell a steal! Good deal!
                          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Yep, those wheels were a steal!

Gage, the 185/65s should work, but why do you want taller tires? The 185/60s should handle better and they're still taller than stock. They should be just as cheap, too, and probably more common than the other size.

If you're going for better fuel economy, maybe something in a 165 or 175 width, and slightly taller than the 185/60-14 would work. No telling if they'd actually give you better mpgs though, till you test them for a few weeks.

Karl

Comment

Working...
                            X