Need new struts and tires HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new struts and tires HELP!

My 91 festiva is in very good shape. I am plasti-dipping it a nice orange soon. The car needs new tires and new struts. I cant stand to put stock stuff back on it. I want some nice looking rims.

What all should i look into doing to upgrade?
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

I have aspire struts on mine off of a 97 but they were bought new

92 GL was red automatic Ms Va., now Zinc Yellow

Comment

Do searches in this forum and read Charlie's thread on suspension in the "articles" forum.

I'd recommend Kia Rio front struts and mounts, with cut Aspire or Rio springs.

In the rear, go with coil overs or Monroe Aspire struts and cut springs.

Then get some Metro steel wheels with some 175/70-13s on them, if you're lucky, from a 'yard.

The above is the short, easier way. If you want better brakes and so forth, keep reading and studying! Lots of options appear.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

My goal is just some pretty rims and new better struts. Is there a good ebay kit for struts or something?
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

OK one step at a time then. Tires 1st. What all do i have to do to run 195 60 15?
          1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

If you do the Aspire 4x100 brake and suspension swap all of a sudden you will be able to bolt on foundling (ie cheap) alloys from dozens of different car brands. In my case I discovered that freebie 14" Rio alloys were a perfect fit with regard to hub hole and offset.

Comment

Mike asked:

"What all do i have to do to run 195 60 15?"

Give up your acceleration and get a lot of rubbing in your fenderwells!

In other words, 195/60-15 is way too big! If you really want 15s, stick to 195/45s or 50s at the largest.

Best upgrade for a stock Festiva would be the Metro rims with 175/70-13s.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                Best upgrade for a stock Festiva would be the Metro rims with 175/70-13s.
                Karl
                Second that.
                If ever you have to re-new Festy rotors, and you've had a chance to appreciate how easy Aspire/Rio front brakes are like to change, you'll shelve your fancy wheel plans and start scouting around for an increasingly elusive Aspire to scavenge from. If you do this right there will already be 4 rims and a space saver spare on board too, and even a spare engine.

Comment

Im still looking for tire and wheel ideas. I am ok with getting the konig rims 13 or 14 on my stock brakes. What tire size for the 13 or the 14 to fit? Thanks for the help .
                  1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Use this http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/.
                    And play with tire sizes till you find right one . Watch the tire height.
                    93 Festiva L Aqua(Fern) 5speed 218,000kms-DD and holding on (rusting )
                    93 Festiva L Caymen green Metallic 156,000km. 5speedOngoing project
                    90 Festiva L Bright Blue Metallic 36,000km,5speed, my rust free BPproject.

Comment

Mike I have a set of 185/60/14 on my festy at pretty much stock height. The speedo is about 9%too slow but otherwise they are a great fit for these little cars. I had them on a set of aluminum Infinity G20 wheels when I was running the stock brakes with a ~6mm spacer, I used BMW wheel bolts because they are longer and have a 17mm head instead of the stock ~15mm head.
                      Where are you located(Put your location in your profile)? I still have those rims(without tires) like these ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infini...2.80.931996.29 if you are interested......
                      Last edited by red90festyonair; 07-30-2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X