Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Festiva rear struts, or Aspire rear struts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva rear struts, or Aspire rear struts?

Alrighty, I am coming up on doing a Aspire rear end swap, and since my rear Festiva struts are way past worn. (Never been changed in 320k miles) I need to get a new pair.

Now I was thinking just to grab a pair of KYB GR2s to match the ones I have on the front, but I have heard of people recommending swapping to Aspire rear struts. Thing is I don't really want the ass end of the car sticking up in the air, plus I would have to go with the lower quality Monroes as there are no GR2s to be found for an Aspire.

I will be planning on using different springs that I got from shadetree at the Spring Ohiostiva, which one pair is Aspire springs, and another pair a cut set of Supra springs.

Now I want a good balance of handling and ride comfort.

But really, Festiva GR2s or Aspire Monroes?

I can always swap out springs if they are not to my liking.
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 10-18-2014, 02:18 PM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Struts (in the case of Festys) are strictly front end parts and shocks are for the back. Springs do the physical work and shocks merely provide damping. Way better (IMO) to have good springs and cheap shocks then vice-versa. New Monroes have always been good to me only because the unknown garbage I've had to tolerate from previous owners (and the fact that few folks actually replace shocks), and they're being old cars, makes a whale of a difference right off.
    You'll definitely want the 'Aspire' version of shocks or else the 'Festy' wheels (anything beyond 165/70-12) will want to rub on the spring perches.

Comment

i thought that i read somewhere that the festiva and aspire KYB struts are the same part number?

post number 52 by drddan says

"I looked it up and the KYB list same part for both festiva and aspire. I think maybe that is why the KYB are 15% stiffer? to allow them to work both applications?
      Talking to a monroe rep, they have struts for festiva and struts for aspire, Said the aspire struts were stiffer. So sounds like the KYB is what I may want anyway. I was thinking the aspire struts from monroe would be ok too."

though this was in 2010 i would imagine that the info is still true?? hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by 88festivasam View Post
        i thought that i read somewhere that the festiva and aspire KYB struts are the same part number?

post number 52 by drddan says

"I looked it up and the KYB list same part for both festiva and aspire. I think maybe that is why the KYB are 15% stiffer? to allow them to work both applications?
        Talking to a monroe rep, they have struts for festiva and struts for aspire, Said the aspire struts were stiffer. So sounds like the KYB is what I may want anyway. I was thinking the aspire struts from monroe would be ok too."

though this was in 2010 i would imagine that the info is still true?? hope that helps
        Yes indeedy I do remember reading this post when it was forum fresh. KYB got smart and saved money by marketing the same part for two different cars. The only real difference is in the height of the spring perches, and 3/8 inch higher for OEM Aspire compared to OEM Festy 'ain't a whole hill of beans much different'.
        Monroe is/was an available and stock item up this way 5-10 years ago whereas KYB was special order.

Comment

Like Bert said : Struts are Front, Shocks are Rear.
          Monroes are not lower quality, just different.
          If you are The Aspire rear use the Monroes. Higher spring perch with cut Aspire springs. 1 coil.
          Don't know anything about the Supra springs.
          Last edited by navdoc101; 10-18-2014, 05:08 PM.
          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

K I will just get the festiva kybs then.

Any recommendations on springs though? Currently leaning toward aspire springs myself.
            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 10-18-2014, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Uncut Aspire springs sit way too high. I had them for a while. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/DSC02404.jpg
              1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Im currently doing my suspension upgrade on my aspire,
                i will soon have a pair of aspire springs freed up if your interested

If you do go with aspire springs, get the aspire dampeners too, that way they will match.
                Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

I like the ride of the aspire struts/springs I have on my 88. They are on Cujo, and are needed for the 14 inch rims and 20 offset.

Aspire springs are stiffer than the festy springs, but not that much, and for me they are just right. I personally think the springs on Festys are too light and soft. Too much body roll.

If you cut a coil from Aspire springs, it will sit at the stock height, as mentioned above.
                  Last edited by drddan; 10-18-2014, 07:50 PM.
                  Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                  Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                  Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                  Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                  http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by Aaronbrook37 View Post
                    Uncut Aspire springs sit way too high. I had them for a while. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...a/DSC02404.jpg
                    Is that with stock aspire springs or not? Because it looks fine to me.

Comment

i think it looks fine too.
                      if anything it will help with a car full of passengers
                      full of weight
                      or even towing i think.
                      Last edited by rmoltis; 10-18-2014, 10:22 PM.
                      Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Alrighty ordered the KYBs. Will call the junkyard monday to see if they have that loaded axle they had listed on car-part.com, apparently they have two.
                        Last edited by TorqueEffect; 10-18-2014, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
                          Alrighty ordered the KYBs. Will call the junkyard monday to see if they have that loaded axle they had listed on car-part.com, apparently they have two.
                          As long as you don't have any wheel fitment issues, the KYBs are definitely better at damping. I've had both, and use a specific railroad crossing to test my suspension. The KYBs handle it better than the Monroes, no question. I have compressed two new shocks by hand side by side, without springs. The KYB has a thicker shaft, so more surface area available, and takes noticeably more effort to compress than the Monroe.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 10-19-2014, 12:11 PM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                            As long as you don't have any wheel fitment issues, the KYBs are definitely better at damping. I've had both, and use a specific railroad crossing to test my suspension. The KYBs handle it better than the Monroes, no question. I have compressed two new shocks by hand side by side, without springs. The KYB has a thicker shaft, so more surface area available, and takes noticeably more effort to compress than the Monroe.
                            Yep, don't have any real fitment issues with my 175-70-13a on Koenigs on factory struts, but they do just clear the perches barely, can't even get my finger between the tire and the perch.

Comment

Working...
                            X