Problems with SuperPro stabilizer bar to body bushing installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with SuperPro stabilizer bar to body bushing installation

Today I got off my butt and swapped my old tired rubber stabilizer bar to body bushings to the pretty blue SuperPro bushes from Oz.

Took everything apart okay.

My first issue was the condition of my bar under the old bushings. Both sides rusty crusty and nasty. I used some sandpaper but there was no measurable improvement. I then just decided to forge ahead. It might ruin the new bushings, but at least I'd enjoy them until I could get a nicer bar.

Second issue: It was hard to line up the brackets upon reinstallation. I had a friend lever the control arm on each side forward to help line stuff up. It barely worked.

But wait, there's another issue!!

Third issue: I barely managed to get both nuts on each bracket, and tighten them with my electric impact. However, the brackets are not nearly in contact with the upper bracket mounts, and I'm afraid to tighten them more for fear of stripping threads or breaking bolts.

Unless anyone has a better idea, I'm taking my car into the shop tomorrow morning and have them look at it. Maybe these bushes really don't fit? Part number is SPF1478-22K. Supposed to exactly fit Mazda 121 DA.

Hmmm, I think I'll go out and put the torque wrench on them. If it keeps tightening without going over spec, I'll keep turning.

Back in a moment.

Thanks,

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-26-2014, 04:28 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Nevermind.

I'm a doofus.

I put the torque wrench on and it kept going and going...so I switched to my normal wrench and tightened them down and then torqued them to spec.

I need to not quit so soon!!

Thanks all, and let this be a lesson to you! :p

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
    X