Toyo Proxes or Yokohama S Drive???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyo Proxes or Yokohama S Drive???

These seem to be the only 'Better" tire out there for summertime fun. What do you think and do you have a better suggestion?

Don't care too much about treadwear. I just want the best handling tire and size preference. Thinking about putting a set of 185/55's (s'drives only) on my Daisies and also considering 195/45-15's (both are available) for a wheel not yet picked out.
    -Bryant

The 195/45-15 is not an elegant fit, but the 185/55-14 will work (just).
    The S-drive has very good specs, I like the AA traction
    No car too fast !

Comment

Whats wrong with 195/45? Its a better size for us than 195/50. Thats the size I intend to run on my new build.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I have had 195/45-15 on my car in the past. Several times. They work fine. I am just looking for a "wider is better" or not answer. Plus which tire is better or not. Actual experience not just user reviews from the site trying to sell them.
        -Bryant

Comment

A wider tire is more stable in corners and has less rolling resistance at the same inflation pressure vs a narrower tire but doesn't always grip more.

I have tested this on my old Neon. 225 vs 185. It was more stable with the 225, but once I knew how fast I could go with the car, I swapped back to the 185 width and could corner just as fast. It was not as stable (I could feel the tires squirming vs the 225 felt like the car was on rails), but it was doable. I also had no camber and old worn out stock suspension. With a stiffer suspension I'd say the wider tires would be even more noticeably stable. Basically the wider tires showed me how fast I could go, because they made me more comfortable doing it, but they didn't make the car corner any faster.

And yes, I did push the wide tires as far as they would go and broke them loose just from cornering at speed. No jerky movements, or turning in extra hard or lifting off mid corner. Just having enough lateral G force to make them let go.

I would say you could get "nearly" the same grip and stability from adding some camber with narrower tires vs just putting on fatter ones. But then if you're buying new tires anyway, why not just throw fatter ones on there and leave the camber alone.
          Last edited by sketchman; 11-05-2014, 08:45 AM.
          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I notice the the S.drive is available in 185/55x14, while the smallest Proxes is in 15". The S.drive @ tires-easy.com in 14" is $89.90 each. Using this size, you could more easily use the Festiva-spec KYBs on the rear (better damping than Monroes, trust me), which have the ~3/4" lower spring perch than the only Aspire rear strut available, the Monroe. The 185/55 is 3/4" lower diameter, therefore 3/8" lower radius, than the 185/60, for example. A spacer might not be needed at all, esp. with a 5.5" wheel, and of course depending on wheel backspacing.

If you are putting a Monroe on the rear of a Festy, I'd still go with the Aspire one rather than the Festy one. Different part #, taller lower spring perch, probably slightly stiffer valving setup. If you wanted to raise your car, using the Aspire-spec rear struts with the stiffer Aspire spring would in effect give you a "suspension lift" of at least 3/4".

The weight and diameter for the 185/55x14 and 195/45x15 are pretty much the same, but the 14" wheel will be lighter than the 15" one. The 14" tire will give slightly better comfort due to the taller sidewall, if that matters to you.

S.drive: http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/detail/s_drive
            Last edited by TominMO; 11-05-2014, 11:01 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
              I have had 195/45-15 on my car in the past. Several times. They work fine. I am just looking for a "wider is better" or not answer. Plus which tire is better or not. Actual experience not just user reviews from the site trying to sell them.
              OK, "wider is better" ( not always ). we could not get the 195/45-15 to work under the car, even in moderately
              brisk driving, fouls inner and outer. The T1-R Proxes we can no longer get, but was a great tire. Our friends in
              the Miata community say the S-drive is the best tire they have had on the 14 x 5 1/2 wheel. We will be trying
              them as soon as we finish wearing out the Kumho Solus Xperts. I would prefer to run 15" wheels as they have
              the larger tire selection and fit the Miatas and Minis too, cheaper to have cross compatibility, but on our street
              Festivas the 14 x 6 is the best fit. Sorry to have answered without being informative.
              No car too fast !

Comment

I had a set of S.Drives on my 04 Grand Prix Comp G and LOVED THEM. LOOOOVED THEM.
                Buck.
                -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
                -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
                -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Comment

Had them both 195-45/14 t1-r's and 185/55/14 s drives currently. I like the ride comfort with a LITTLE more sidewall, but the proxies are definitely a better performance tires. I can feel a big difference around corners, but who really wants to drive a STOCK ASPIRE that fast. The car can't drive itself off either tire so I think I'll keep a bigger sidewall on it from now on. The s drives are noticably louder too, so I hope there's another 185/55/14 available when i need new tires, it's the best 'fit' on my car, imo.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I had Toyos on my 99 Miata and they handled GREAT! I THINK they were 195/50/15s IIRC. I beat on them pretty hard and wear was exceptional!
                    N3WBI3

Comment

Working...
                    X