Independent Rear Suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Independent Rear Suspension

Has anyone attempted to make their stock festiva rear suspension independent? Seems like it would be an interesting mod.
    Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
    http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

The rear beam is good and reliable. It takes bumps like a champ

Comment

Definitely interesting, but far from simple. It would require extensive fabrication to rig mounts for control arms on the unibody, not to mention finding control arms that would fit. Though I'm sure it would improve handling immensely if executed properly. I'd like to see someone attempt it out of curiosity, but I think an Aspire suspension swap would offer nearly the same benefits for much less effort.
      Axlander9289, brother of ThisVelologist

Festivas past:
      Aqua '92 Festiva L - Sold "Dale"
      White '89 Festiva L Plus - RIP "Dudley"
      White '93 Festiva GL - Sold to thisvelologist "Frito"
      Red '91 Festiva L - Sold to Louieisawesome "Geraldo"

Current Fleet:
      Aqua '93 Festiva L with Aspire brakes "Dale Jr."
      Black and White '93 Festiva GL Sport (White alloys and spoiler are long gone) "Blues-tiva"
      White '15 Ford Transit Connect

Comment

Geneva dirt has a festiva with a Capri rear sub frame welded to it. I don't think the car was ever finished though.

Comment

Lately I've been daydreaming about independent rear suspension too, except my brainstorming includes rear axles......

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
          1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
          2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
            Lately I've been daydreaming about independent rear suspension too, except my brainstorming includes rear axles......
            All wheel drive?
            No car too fast !

Comment

The new Mazda 2 / Ford Fiesta is a 6th generation Festiva. Same rear suspension! Except the springs got relocated inboard for more wheel/tire clearance.
              No car too fast !

Comment

Independent Rear Suspension

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                All wheel drive?
                Nope lol I don't want hard to find parts anymore, that's why I sold my AWD protege
                Last edited by Damkid; 11-07-2014, 05:26 AM.

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

what if you just got rid of the cross beam and added some geometric-pleasing supports? as long as its strong enough, it couldn't be that much worse could it?
                  Tommy

WannaBimmer Build in Progress:
                  http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...-Festiva-Build

Comment

I asked about this a while back. Advancedynamix's response was that the Festy is set up just as it should be. Grafting on an independent suspension would not help--in fact, the beam IS an independent suspension setup already, due to how the crossbeam torques under load/bumps.

If he can keep up with a Lotus Elise in roadracing with a stock Festiva rear beam, I gotta value his opinion on this.
                    Last edited by TominMO; 11-07-2014, 11:15 AM.
                    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                      I asked about this a while back. Advancedynamix's response was that the Festy is set up just as it should be. Grafting on an independent suspension would not help--in fact, the beam IS an independent suspension setup already, due to how the crossbeam torques under load/bumps.

If he can keep up with a Lotus Elise in roadracing with a stock Festiva rear beam, I gotta value his opinion on this.
                      +1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
                      1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I totally agree, the stock suspension has been proven (by Charlie) to work very very well... If you're staying FWD lol

Comment

Working...
                        X