Chewing through axles with Aspire suspension swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chewing through axles with Aspire suspension swap

I read a lot about swapping to Aspire suspension stuff and planned on doing it, but sold my 93 Festiva to my brother and he ended up doing it. Then I bought it back later.

Full front and back swap.

I love how it handles, I love the 1-1.5" rise for more ground clearance on my route(lots of rough roads, gravel, etc), and the added carrying capacity for 100+ bundles of newspaper.

What I have a problem with is the axles. Why did I not read anything about this issue anywhere here? Am I the only one with this problem????

The drivers side axle, with the now constant angle, tears the inner boot because it's always rubbing on itself , and is slinging grease within 10k miles.

The passenger side shudders HORRENDOUSLY at anything above light-moderate throttle because of the now higher angle. It won't shudder on hard left turns or when the car is loaded down.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Other than swapping back to Festiva front?

UGHHHHHHHHHHH
    Buck.
    -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!
    -1999 Toyota Sienna XLE, 346,000
    -1996 Chevrolet K1500 Z71, 350 V8, 198k, hauler

Which axles are you using, festiva or Aspire? Mine has been swapped for 4 yrs with no axle issues. And I drive it like I stole it all the time. My usual speed going to work and back is around 70-75 mph. 32 mile one way trip.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 12-15-2014, 06:58 PM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Festiva, should I be using aspire???? Hadn't even thought of that, believe it or not
      Buck.
      -1993 Ford Festiva GL, ~200k, B6, Aspire rear, Rio front, 5-speed. '87 Prelude alloys. Happy to be back on the route!!!

Comment

I'm using Festiva axles on 2 of mine. My third one has just been upgraded to a g series with xr2 axles behind a bp motor.
        Last edited by Team Lightning; 12-15-2014, 07:54 PM.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Which control arms?
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Festiva
            Buck.

Comment

Are you running the Aspire front springs?
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Did you use the Aspire sway Bar?
                Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Have you checked camber? The different ride height could change that and then cause some of the other changes you mention
                  Thricetiva replaced Icetiva as the new ride
                  Icetiva-3-race-car-build
                  http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2533299

Comment

The vibration happens when you accelerate and the front lifts a little more. If you have anything loose that allows toe in under acceleration to occur this will be a lot worse. The rollers inside the cv are hammering the back because the suspension cannot collapse the axle any further as the suspension lifts. This happens usually on the drivers side because of the unique geometry there. The aspire inner cv is a better style than the festiva, it has longer throw. Most reman festiva axles out here have the aspire inner installed. When you get into serious lift the aspire arms are too short. You may have festy arms or a mis-match ? The angle is not the problem of the vibration or the boot wear, the collapsed position of the axle is the culprit. Stretch the lower arms.
                    Last edited by Movin; 12-16-2014, 02:47 AM.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Glad to hear this may be cured after all.

1- It has yet to be aligned. On my short list.
                      2- It has Aspire knuckle, strut, springs, brakes. Festiva control arms, tie rod ends(which I found out it needs aspire for sure reading elsewhere), sway bar, and axles.

So to cure this I need Aspire control arms? Do I have to get the sway bar too? Will it fit in the mounts up front?
                      Buck.

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                        Glad to hear this may be cured after all.

1- It has yet to be aligned. On my short list.
                        2- It has Aspire knuckle, strut, springs, brakes. Festiva control arms, tie rod ends(which I found out it needs aspire for sure reading elsewhere), sway bar, and axles.

So to cure this I need Aspire control arms? Do I have to get the sway bar too? Will it fit in the mounts up front?
                        You have the correct setup. As for the Aspire sway bar I wouldn't bother. I had one on my car and didn't like it. It actually handles better with the stock Festiva bar.

My current setup is Aspire hubs, brakes and tie rod ends with Festiva axles, control arms, sway bar with Festiva specific Tein coil-overs. No issues with eating axles though. That being said I did have a bad run on axles a number of years ago that turned out to be poorly done rebuilds. A change of suppliers solved that problem.

I would recommend getting your alignment done as soon as possible.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by 200KGPGTP View Post
                          The reason I asked is because the Aspire bar is a bad thing.
                          Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
                          Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
                          Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

I don't like the Aspire bar either. I believe based on all you said that the passenger axle is not a problem unless you have other bigger problems, or some of the installed parts are not what you think they are. I also believe you will for sure need the Aspire tie rod ends they will be too weak with only a couple threads holding. Once you get aligned and all you will need those threads.
                            Don't take us verbatim look this over careful to see why that axle is compressed. You may find something else. For instance a shot upper right mount can allow the engine to shift to that side. Likely the trans mounts would be broke too, but keep your eyes open !!
                            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I just had the powertrain out a couple weeks ago and all 3 mounts are solid. A bit of dry rot cracking, but that's it.

So I SHOULDN'T use Aspire control arms? That's a relief, because for some reason they're like 10x the price of Festiva control arms.

I guess I'll replace the tie rod arms , get it aligned, and go from there.
                              Buck.

Comment

Working...
                              X