Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear adjustable panhard bar

Anyone make one?

A panhard bar is used to center the rear solid axle on a lowered car.

Here's some more information on its purpose.

I know in my experience with the EF chassis Honda civic/crx, when lowered the rear chassis is pulled to the left causing the car to "dog track" when going down the street.

I can explain dog tracking if needed. It's basically when the rear of the vehicle "steps out" and causes it to visually appear to be driving sideways.

I'm pretty sure this is my issue with my rear end, I have more clearance on my drivers side than my passenger side(tire to fender). It drives straight but my buddy said while following me down the road it looked like my rear end was gonna take out a mailbox.

If no one makes one I will go ahead and get measuments, and see what I can do to make one and pass on information or make them available to other owners.

*note this may not affect everyone, unless they are lowered fairly extremely like my car*

the article says it less desirable on small cars. i can't envision a festiva beam moving left/right. is there that much compliance in the pivot bushing?

Comment

An adjustable panhard bar is only useful if you have a panhard bar…
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

So, just to explain a little better: no matter how low you put a festiva it won't affect the lateral offset of the rear suspension. I've lowered them as low as they can go with no issues.

If your rear is off that much, you have a problem with your trailing arm, mounting points, or rear beam bushings.
        ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
        91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
        1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
        2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

^+1 ... Maybe your rear mounts are rusted out and one side has fallen making it steer like a fork lift.
          Also I thought Panhard bars were for solid axel rwd or 4wd?
          Maybe not but thats were I've seen em.
          Last edited by william; 12-22-2014, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I think the OP is a little misinformed about pan hard bars. They cause the axle to move side to side as the suspension sags, they aren't the remedy for this (even if they are adjustable). a Watts Link is the remedy for the problem that's being explained on a solid axle vehicle, but I've never seen a need for anything like that on any Honda civic chassis or a festiva. People have used support cross bars on trailing beam rear suspensions before, but I haven't seen the need for that on a festiva. The festiva rear beam is very well engineered for most duties. Possibly off road, or rally applications would stress the beam enough for a cross brace, which could be mistaken as a pan hard bar. It has pivots on both ends and attaches to the rearmost points on the trailing beam. The ef civic doesn't use a trailing beam though, so I'm not sure where that confusion is coming from. I'm puzzled.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

also puzzling, if this rod is attached to a fixed point on the body and to a fixed point on the axle and the length of the rod between the two points is determined with the suspension at rest, when the axle moves up or down during driving doesn't the arc of the rod as it move up/down with the axle around the body pivot point effectively shorten the rod and want to pull the axle towards the body pivot point?

Comment

Working...
              X