just more tuner Bling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just more tuner Bling?

these swaybar lateral locks make sense in my mind but i wonder if there is enough movement in the bushing to where they would be effective. Whiteline seems to be a respectable suspension co.

AmericanTrucks offers a large selection of truck Suspension - lift kits, leveling kits, more for Ford, Dodge, Chevy, and GMC trucks.

Don't know whether they work or not, but they're just split shaft collars. You could get the same thing from mcmaster.com for probably much less.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

The way the Festiva suspension is held together, it doesn't really allow the bar to walk from side to side.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

They wouldn't work at all front to rear but could work to lock everything in the center. In other words if you put them at the lower control arm to lock down caster change they would slip but used at the sway bar mount bushings could hold the bar in the center. Cool looking!
        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

i'm speculating that if the bar was moving laterally enough to matter you'd see a thin shiny band near the bushing shoulder where the paint or rust was being worn off due to swaybar movement. also these locks would butt against the shoulder of the rubber bushing and not the bracket. the rubber shoulder would have a little crush before lateral movement was truly stopped. there might be less or no shoulder crush if you were using poly bushings. i still think you'd need enormous side forces for these to contribute anything measurable or perceptible . looks cool but i'm voting BLING.

Comment

I must update this.

The stock design might not allow any movement, but if you put in urethane bushings with the universal shells, it CAN move laterally. Mine is doing it now with new control arms and brand new urethane bushings all around. It can't get any tighter up front. It's moving enough that I will find a cheaper solution than buying those bling-y things to do the same job, but I do need a solution.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
              Don't know whether they work or not, but they're just split shaft collars. You could get the same thing from mcmaster.com for probably much less.
              I agree! These collars can be found at several places, including McMaster-Carr and Grainger

Extra security for aftermarket bushings, high performance mods, and autocross, where high pressure side loads are exerted on the suspension?
              Last edited by drddan; 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM.
              Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
              Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
              Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
              Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
              http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                The way the Festiva suspension is held together, it doesn't really allow the bar to walk from side to side.
                I have to correct myself here. I think Dragonhealer has had issues with the bar moving with the universal aftermarket poly sway bar bushings/mounts. He complained about torque steer and brake steer issues. Maybe he will jump on and explain this better.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

^Yep, I have the same issues with just a B6-ME swap.

I can see by the grease smears that it's moving a good 3/16" in both directions.

EDIT: Solution. I bought 2, but you could be extra cheap and probably get away with just 1 and welding 1/2 of it on both inner edges of the bushings.

But even 2 is just $10 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261430052941
                  Last edited by sketchman; 07-08-2015, 11:11 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

I drive slow, but I guess i'll be checking my sway bars out on
                    my car here soon. Either way, nice find sketchman
                    1993 Festiva - White/Black - 5 speed

Comment

Hummm, Yes,
                      By design, the suspension is compliant laterally by stretching the rubbers (center and end bar mounts, as well as control rod inners). Lateral bar movement was first caused in both Rosie and Trashwagon when the trans cooler lines leaked and caused the center LH bar mount to perish, the RH mount alone not being enough to prevent the bar from moving.
                      Both cars got aftermarket mounts and Wow, lots of throttle steer and brake steer!
                      This pic is on Rosie, aftermarket mounts with no lateral control. You can see how far the bar moves.

2015-07-08_09-27-05_555.jpg

So I got some shaft collars from my local hardware store (they are 1/2 the price at McMaster Carr, about 5 bucks) and found the bar has too many curves to get two proper mounting points!
                      I tried an experiment on trashwagon, welding a washer butted squarely to the inside LH mount and fitting a shaft collar to the other side.

2015-07-08_09-28-20_329.jpg

2015-07-08_09-28-34_165.jpg

This works, but my driving style puts enough lateral load on the bar to bend the mounts!
                      Next try is to add 1/4 inch thick rubber washers between the abutments and the mounts, but as Trashwagon got totaled, I'll be trying this on Rosie.
                      As you can see, Mazda went through some trouble to build a system both simple and reliable that works extraordinarily well !
                      No car too fast !

Comment

I thought about reinforcing the new shells with some metal welded in but didn't. Might rethink that now.

So really we'd need to convert to bearings up front or use the OEM shaped ones that I'm not sure are available for the Festiva size sway bar. That's too bad.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

So really we'd need to convert to bearings up front or use the OEM shaped ones that I'm not sure are available for the Festiva size sway bar. That's too bad.
                          I know what you mean.
                          Anyone with good bar to chassis rubbers should take good care of them!
                          Charlie, what did you end up with on Tweek?
                          No car too fast !

Comment

Ahh, they do exist. Just take a while to get here, and are more expensive than the universal ones.

spf1478-22k

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Ahh, they do exist. Just take a while to get here, and are more expensive than the universal ones.

spf1478-22k
                              Those are the very ones I have waiting to go on my project car. As sketchman said, they do take a lot of time to arrive but hopefully they will do the trick.

Ian
                              Last edited by fastivaca; 07-08-2015, 02:57 PM.
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada
                              93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                              59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Working...
                              X