Which would you use? Rio or Aspire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which would you use? Rio or Aspire

I have available for me obtain, Aspire hubs and beam (I'll be getting the beam from the Aspire) or Rio hubs. Not sure the year of the Rio yet.
    I've read quite a bit on what people are using.
    If you had each style of hub available to use, which one would you?

I am thinking if the Rio is an 03-05 with the bigger brakes, I'll probably go that route.

What I am still not clear on, is if I do the Rio route do I still use the Aspire master cylinder/booster?

Thanks
    Whoa, that was fun!

What is the bolt pattern for the Rio? Will 13" wheels clear the caliper or do you need 14"
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

2 of my cars have the Aspire MC. They are a big improvement over the Festiva MC. I'm using the Festiva booster, not the Aspire booster.
      Last edited by Team Lightning; 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Later (02-03?) Rio front hubs vs Aspire/early Rio versions is a moot point. Improvement in braking and ease of choosing wheels (over OEM Festy) is already going to be substantial. I figure grab whatever is easiest/least expensive. And do keep an eye out for 4 x 100 x 14" Kia alloy wheels while you're at it; offset and hub hole are perfect fit compared to adapting VW/Toyota/Honda etc.

Comment

Thanks guys for the info/input. It turned out to be a bust. The Aspire only had the beam left on it and the Rio was already missing one of the hubs. No worries though, we'll just keep looking for a Aspire parts car.
          Whoa, that was fun!

Comment

I'd still get the beam then continue to look for the Rio parts. They are easier to find nowadays too. I have '05 Rio front stuff with 14" wheels and Miata Booster and M/C. All fits perfectly
            -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by Gomez View Post
              I'd still get the beam then continue to look for the Rio parts. They are easier to find nowadays too. I have '05 Rio front stuff with 14" wheels and Miata Booster and M/C. All fits perfectly
              If this is true then junked and/or running Rios will be a dime a dozen and are much newer, but Aspire trailing arms are unique and went the way of the Dodo already 18+ years ago. Plus there never were all that many Aspires (compared to Festys) in the first place. Grab the entire rear beam and the body pivot brackets. Highly unlikely an Aspire beam will have much value to a junkyard so you should be able to get it really cheap. Already 10 years ago in Ontario dead and dying Aspires started going straight to the crusher rather than sit around in U pulls and wreckers hoping that someone would ever want parts off one.

PS I suggest that you grab the front sway bar off the Aspire while you're at it. They are almost 1/8 " thicker and are a direct fit on a Festy. I sure enjoyed the one I had.
              Last edited by Bert; 02-04-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

I'll never run an aspire front sway bar again. The trouble with mounting/mount clearance, and the understeer they cause...no thanks. Stiffer rear is where its at.
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

When you get you swap done, I may still have 2 nice Kia alloys that I will give you a good deal on if they haven't sold
                  locally on craigslist. http://charleston.craigslist.org/pts/4863198446.html
                  I had them on one of my Festivas until I came across a great deal on 4 Miata wheels.
                  Last edited by 1990new; 02-04-2015, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X