Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire swap started

Decided to have a bit of fun today.
    And if no one objects, I am going to put the festy's front coils (cut) on the Aspire beam.
    Let the swap begin!
    Attached Files
    Whoa, that was fun!

Hang on to the Aspire springs. Lowering a car and making the suspension stiffer is easy but then changing your mind further down the road is not the case. I used FMS Sport springs initially and didn't like either the decreased height nor the substantially increased stiffness and was very appreciative of being able to revert to OEM (but trimmed) Aspire coils a couple of years later. If it's a DD you're building it is going to be a trade-off of ride comfort/handling vs having your kidneys shook loose every time you run on bumpy roads.
    You will enjoy the wider stance of wheels on an Aspire beam and you'll get much better service life out of larger drums and shoes. I seem to recollect always having to replace Festy shoes and pads once a year whereas the Aspire swap was still trouble-free after 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
      If it's a DD you're building it is going to be a trade-off of ride comfort/handling vs having your kidneys shook loose every time you run on bumpy roads.
      This doesn't have to be the case. Stiffer springs aren't the answer to better handling. If a car is lowered with softer springs with rear shocks that are shorter than stock, you'll get a softer ride than stock, with less body roll and a lower center of gravity. Handling and ride quality don't have to be a compromise.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-01-2015, 09:00 AM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Right now this is a "budget" special. I am going to use existing parts on hand.
        I've read many a post on here on what to use and what to cut.
        I do agree that ride quality is different for each person.
        I do plan on keep the stock Aspire springs around, cause as mentioned above you never know when you might need them.
        When I do the B6t swap, then I plan on getting more serious about tuning in the suspension.
        Whoa, that was fun!

Comment

Why not just cut the stock Festy rear springs?
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I dunno?
            From what I read and understand (which can be off kilter every now and then), most seem to either use the Festy fronts or Aspire rears.
            I understand that cut coils ratings increases.
            Therefore I was thinking on going the stronger front Festy route for the extra stiffness.
            Figured I'd at least run it first, I am keeping the stock Aspire coils to play with at a later date if need be.
            Whoa, that was fun!

Comment

Beams are officially switched.
              I like the wide stance look the Festy now has.
              The Aspire with the Festy beam is odd looking.
              Attached Files
              Whoa, that was fun!

Comment

I cant wait to do my aspire swap when I get back and looking at your pictures just motivates me to do so ASAP!!
                91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
                Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
                Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

Working...
                X