suspension lift on an aspire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension lift on an aspire?

Ive got a '94 aspire i use as a go anywhere do anything car.
    Im wanting to stuff some 14" all terrains under it but im wanting
    a 4" lift for clearance but i have no idea where to start. Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Front: fabricate a plate to bolt the two lower strut bolts to, and bolting that plate to the knuckle. Make sure to take into account the angle difference, so you don't have caster/camber issues; or use camber bolts to adjust. Then use longer bolts and 4" aluminum plates, for example, to drop the transaxle crossmember (so your axles aren't at an extreme downward angle and pop out).

Alternatively, instead of fabricating that plate, you could just use longer springs, perhaps as a DIY coilover setup. Still need to drop the crossmember tho.

Rear: either longer springs, or a steel cube or aluminum block to bolt the bottom of the strut to, raising it 4".
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Whats the most you could go without dropping the cross member, and without having issues with popping cv axles out of the transmission

Comment

I ask because if i have to lower down the bottom of the car i really dont gain anything by going to bigger tires. Any ground clearance i would have gained it offset by the lower hanging crossmember so im back to square one

Comment

I think you could do 4 without axle issues.
          I would put the spacer in the top of the struts instead of on the bottom. Like a price of large pipe and long bolts. For the rear user a spacer that screws on the top of the rear strut then a bolt or stud to go through the rear strut tower .
          Or you could go with coil overs. I would ask movin he could point you in the right direction

Comment

Quite simple; get another, and altogether different, car. If off-roading is your aim Movin(on this forum) has had great luck and oodles of experience with fielding a bush-buggy Festiva. I cringe at the thought of a delicate plastic fronted Aspire merely kissing a tree or a post and then the airbags going off. Instant write-off.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              Instant write-off.
              Ya, If you tell the insurance company.... "Hey I got a scratch on my car from touching a tree! Am I covered? Oh and the airbag went off"... Pull the airbag... Swap the steering wheel.... Problem solved

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
              1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
              2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Movin Marvin can chime in on this
                91GL BP/F3A with boost
                13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Well the previous owner of the car t boned another car at 35 mph totaled the other
                  Car, barely hurt the spire airbags didn't deploy i think they have been disconnected lol

Comment

Don't kia rio front struts lift these things a bit? VW MK3 rear coil overs work to lift the back. I have a spare set of rear coil overs I would sell for 150 plus shipping (basically what I paid for them.)
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

As you raise the car the inner cv compresses, the left more than the right. You want to stop lifting just before the cv starts knocking - touching.

Dont drop the trans axle. Lower the rear mount of the crossmember about 3 - 4 inches. It will not hang down below the trans or lower the bellhousing. It rotates the diff part down. Everything moves, but in a better way for ground clearance.

When you do this by rotating rather than dropping it takes more of the angle out of the left cv than the right. This needed because the left axle is shorter and angles quicker. The compression of the left side is relieved by the trans - diff being pulled toward the right side of the car. This needed because the left axle wants to compress.

Stretching inner tie rods and lower control arms , rio bearing plates, extra shims in the strut mounts. trimming spring seats, long springs, rear travel stops removed, rear beam mounts shimmed.
                      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
                      X