direct fit coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• direct fit coilovers?

so i have been searching the forum like crazy for answers and have not found many answers.... i do not want to really build anything.. modifying i am ok with.. has any one attempted to use vw mk2 coilovers.. i found some that look like they should work fine... am i wrong?

straight install? yes or no.. if not is there a such thing with little to no modification?

the only other thing i would consider is kyb all around with lowering springs (cheap ones) but i dont know what to go with...

this is a stock 88 festiva.. not a track car just a cruiser that i want lowered... help please

No mods whatsoever in economy mode mods would be KYB's with lowering springs.

No mod coilovers with a bunch more cash would be Tein.

Check out Advanceddynamics thread on shock set-up. Several years of R&D and he has a really nice set-up. All of it is in his thread. His set-up requires mods but would be well worth it all.
    -Bryant

Comment

+1 on KYBs being an upgrade strut. Especially noticeable on the rear. Skeeter's keeper has a good writeup called "DIY coilovers for the rest of us", to give you some more ideas.

DIY coilovers
      Last edited by TominMO; 03-06-2015, 06:59 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        +1 on KYBs being an upgrade strut. Especially noticeable on the rear. Skeeter's keeper has a good writeup called "DIY coilovers for the rest of us", to give you some more ideas.

DIY coilovers

I have been looking at that set up and most likely the one i plan to go with being that it is the most simple... thanks

Comment

I have 3 licensed and registered Festivas, all have KYB struts, one has FMS springs, the other 2 have coil overs that I built using Advancedynamic's thread. They handle and ride very good.
          Last edited by Team Lightning; 03-06-2015, 08:51 PM.
          Jerry
          Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
          90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
          92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
          93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Yep. I forgot all bout skeeter setup.
            -Bryant

Comment

Originally posted by herk518 View Post
              so i have been searching the forum like crazy for answers and have not found many answers.... i do not want to really build anything.. modifying i am ok with.. has any one attempted to use vw mk2 coilovers.. i found some that look like they should work fine... am i wrong?

straight install? yes or no.. if not is there a such thing with little to no modification?

the only other thing i would consider is kyb all around with lowering springs (cheap ones) but i dont know what to go with...

this is a stock 88 festiva.. not a track car just a cruiser that i want lowered... help please
              Yeah, I have built Festiva coil overs with those RSK struts. they are actually nicer quality than raceland coilovers. You can't use the rear shocks to lower the car though because the bodies are to long. The RSK's modded to fit the front with some sleeved KYB's for a MK1 vw in the back and you'll have a nice setup. You'll also want softer springs for those RSK's because the springs they come with are way to stiff. Springs are 39 dollars a piece through southwest speed. Get 180lb/120lb springs for a sporty ride on a stock festy. Southwest speed also sells sleeves that fit the MK1 VW rear shocks and there is no spring perch to cut and the shocks are already shorter than the stock festiva ones. Read the "advanced Suspension mods" thread that is sticked in this forum for more info on why shorter shocks are better.
              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-08-2015, 01:56 AM.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                Yeah, I have built Festiva coil overs with those RSK struts. they are actually nicer quality than raceland coilovers. You can't use the rear shocks to lower the car though because the bodies are to long. The RSK's modded to fit the front with some sleeved KYB's for a MK1 vw in the back and you'll have a nice setup. You'll also want softer springs for those RSK's because the springs they come with are way to stiff. Springs are 39 dollars a piece through southwest speed. Get 180lb/120lb springs for a sporty ride on a stock festy. Southwest speed also sells sleeves that fit the MK1 VW rear shocks and there is no spring perch to cut and the shocks are already shorter than the stock festiva ones. Read the "advanced Suspension mods" thread that is sticked in this forum for more info on why shorter shocks are better.
                So those mk 2s would fit the front???

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Aus121 View Post
                  So those mk 2s would fit the front???

Yes, you just have to lightly slot the upper knuckle hole. At least I did when I put mine on.

Comment

Originally posted by gergorian View Post
                    Yes, you just have to lightly slot the upper knuckle hole. At least I did when I put mine on.
                    Awesome thanks heaps

Comment

Working...
                    X