Front brake discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front brake discussion

Has anyone tried to fit the early Miata front caliper and bracket to a Festiva Knuckle ?
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Early miata rotor is nearly identical to aspire auto. Just no countersunk screw holes for the retaining screws.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

If the Miata caliper and bracket could be mounted there are some Miata brake pads that are available with improved coefficients of friction.

The best I could find for Festiva was this.

I did find some ebc yellow for the auto aspire, anyone using that ?
      Last edited by Movin; 05-21-2015, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I did a full Aspire brake/suspension swap 5 years ago and thanks to one broken Aspire caliper bolt discovered that those through-bolts were not replaceable by any of the former Festy stuff. Kia (Mazda/Ford?) up-sized everything of consequence when it got the 'go-ahead' to manufacture Aspires. Seemingly simple things like this become a curse when the only source of useable parts is a Dealer (think exorbitant $) or having to scope through/scavenge for hours at JYs and U-Pulls for something that might work.
        One nice thing about this quest of yours is that there are lots of Mazda/Kia-made 'become derelict scrap' makes and models awaiting $1 a pound recycle.

Comment

Bert, I didn't really want to add the weight of a conversion, but wanted stock Festy stuff with a brake pad rated GG like the EBC yellow for the aspire or the miata. The Miata has even more options but it looks like it is a lot more weight too. Conversions also involve proportioning valves and master-cylinder changes to get the desired brake pedal feel. I wonder if the aspire pads could be ground down to festy size ? No ceramic dust. Asbestos is not in products made in the USA.

The washboards on mountain gravel roads are severe. Adding sprung weight like a heavier tire is a huge difference in the wrong direction.
          Last edited by Movin; 05-21-2015, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X