Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5-6" Drop with VW KYB's Converted to Coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! That's a good fitment.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Nice!
      - Form should follow function...

Comment

Also, I'm running 150lb 12" springs on the front of my car now and they ride nice. There is lots of adjustment for more low and I don't need any filler springs because these will drop it on the stops if I back off the preload. I'm not setting it up mega low for now though, because I want ground clearance for my cross country trip, and I want it to ride nice. I'm getting too old for 6000 miles on the bump stops. Haha
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

And he talks about old...ya

Comment

Forgot to update this. I rebuilt the whole front suspension a couple weeks ago and installed the coilovers at the same time. The 125# springs with the raceland's dampening feel good, way less roll and pitch but still rides pretty good. I also found a set of brushed/black center caps to replace the painted caps. I ordered the rear sleeves and springs this week so hopefully I can have the rear finished up soon. It already handles much better, less body roll and tons more grip.

I also remembered seeing small superchargers being used on VW motors so I looked into them more. Found a few different small superchargers, with an AMR500 looking like the best option for the stock engine. They're cheap and very small, plus inlet/outlet flanges and V-belt pullies are readily available. Once I finish the suspension and get my VW back together I may buy one and start fabbing a mount and intake tubing.

'88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
            '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
            '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
            '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
            '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
            '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
            How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
            How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

those wheels are awesome

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post

Crappy picture I took this morning, it needs more low, but this is with 3" Drop with et25 14x7 wheels with 165/55-14 tires and -3.4 camber with .5 degree toe F/R

Comment

Thanks! They are all dirty now. I love dirty white wheels. They remind me of the Rally cars I used to drool over as a kid.

Comment

5-6" Drop with VW KYB's Converted to Coilovers?

I have nightmares about dirty white wheels. You are a mad man!![emoji44][emoji44]
                  Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 10-06-2015, 11:43 AM.
                  1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

This thread title...My stock 4 speed would have air under the tires with a 6 inch drop. The automatic would have a little air under the car but it has 175 13's on stock shocks. The VW Mk II has 6 inch adjusters on my lifted car but the lowest setting is higher than stock. The difference is add on adjusters as opposed to built in. If I replaced my VW mkII stock struts and add on adjusters with these RSK would I lose altitude ? That would be a nightmare! Having a car with less clearance than my chevy 4x4 with super swampers would be embarrassing, restricting, and would make hunting around here even more challenging.

Where do these RSK coil overs rank?
                    Last edited by Movin; 10-06-2015, 10:24 PM.
                    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

The RSK and all the other zinc coated "Raceland" style coilovers seem to be pretty much the same quality as the racelands. The RSK shocks may actually be a nicer product than Racelands. All the different brands use different style gland nuts to hold the inserts in the strut body, and there are slight differences in the thread length on the body. I prefer the RSK shocks.
                      Movin, these coilovers will lower your car, even at the most preloaded setting. They are shorter than stock festiva shocks.
                      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-07-2015, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks, they likely have less travel as well then too. I have been thinking about doing something with the 88 but making an easier way to lift.
                        Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Made one of the top hats tonight. Should I have made them taller? I haven't pulled the stock struts out to see how they mount, I'm guessing there is some sort of rubber mount similar to the front mounts? It has to pivot somehow...

Comment

I also found a complete rear axle for $40 that I can hopeful pick up this weekend. I have a broken e-brake cable and this is complete drum to drum with good cables. I can rebuild the brakes and swap the whole thing in when I do the coilovers. Are bushings available for the beam? Didn't see them on Rockauto.

Comment

Check Rmoltis's build thread. I think he replaced his beam bushings.

You may want more surface area on the top of your spring hat. There is a rubber bushing that sets on top of there and you'll want the whole bushing to be supported. Nice work so far though!

Edit: you may be able to use a washer on the top of the hat to support the bushing.
                              Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-10-2015, 07:34 PM.

Comment

I could just cut the spring hats down shorter to remove the taper? Or a washer will work. I should have looked at how they mount in the car first I guess... The beam I picked up today has bushings that aren't rotted so I'll use those. Everything inside the drums are in top shape as well. Hoping to get the coilovers on tomorrow, and I've just ordered everything to redo the rear brakes (shoes/seals/cylinders/hoses/axle nuts/etc).

Do you ever make extra camber spacers to sell? I know you don't do this as a business so no problem if you don't.

I picked up an '84 Snap On "taco cart" tool box last weekend that's been handy for working on parts like the rear beam. Got the sleeves glued onto the strut bodies and cut down one lower mount on the inside and spaced it over from the outside.

Comment

Working...
                                X