shock opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shock opinion

disregarding price and shipping costs, which would you recommend or think is a better upgrade over the factory dampers, Bilstein B4, KYB Excel-G, or Sachs ?

Id like to know too

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Comment

I've never tried Bilstein or Sachs, I have KYB's on all my drivers. They handle great with the coilovers I'm running.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

For the rear, MK1 VW Bilsteins are the very best, but pricey. A close second, and very reasonable, are the KYBs for the same car. For the front I go with Rio KYBs.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

You know my opinion. I've never tried bilsteins in the rear, but I'm sure they work well. I had bilstein sports in the front and they were very nice. I'm running Sachs super gas coilovers in the front with kyb cabriolet shocks turned coilovers in the rear. It's a very nice package. For comparison, my Festiva is more rewarding to drive than my Cayman S with KW V3 coilovers.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

as this is just a replacement for the original factory installed pieces on a stock AT car i'm shying away from coilovers and other exotica on this car. probably can't go wrong with any of them but my brain, having been washed with the "german engineering" mantra, will probably go with the "steins". thank you for the inputs.

Comment

The coilovers cost 9 bucks a part. Hardly exotica. Lol, especially when your buying 150 dollar a piece rear shocks.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

9 dollars a sleeve, 9 dollars a nut, 39 dollars a spring. You need 2 of each. You'll need to get creative with the spring hats, but it's not that complicated of a part. Then you have rear bilstein adjustable coilovers.
                Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-20-2015, 05:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                  as this is just a replacement for the original factory installed pieces on a stock AT car i'm shying away from coilovers and other exotica on this car. probably can't go wrong with any of them but my brain, having been washed with the "german engineering" mantra, will probably go with the "steins". thank you for the inputs.
                  German engineering? Have you ever worked on a Volkswagen or Audi?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Audi is a nasty 4 letter word. Lol Anyone whose done a timing chain on a b6 S4 knows what I'm talking about.
                    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 10-20-2015, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Step 1 - Remove front of car.
                      - Form should follow function...

Comment

didn't realize how cheap a homemade set of coilovers could be but this project is just a qwik saturday shock change out on an old GF's nice GL. really don't want to see her again too soon after this favor to dial in or experiment with ride height. like she'd care or know anything about coilover suspensions.

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                          For the rear, MK1 VW Bilsteins are the very best, but pricey. A close second, and very reasonable, are the KYBs for the same car. For the front I go with Rio KYBs.
                          I just took receipt of a set of Rio Excel -G's to replace the unknown condition Aspire OE struts.
                          Not at the stage of converting those to coil over but considering using the aspire springs vs the festy.
                          Question is should they be cut or used as is? I would like to lower the car but I should figure out its
                          driving dynamics with the Aspire/Rio component swap before I start changing something else?

Comment

Originally posted by needragr View Post
                            I just took receipt of a set of Rio Excel -G's to replace the unknown condition Aspire OE struts.
                            Not at the stage of converting those to coil over but considering using the aspire springs vs the festy.
                            Question is should they be cut or used as is? I would like to lower the car but I should figure out its
                            driving dynamics with the Aspire/Rio component swap before I start changing something else?
                            I got those same front struts. I cut my front Festy springs one coil to be more in line with the ride height at the rear. Supposedly the Aspire front (and rear) springs are a little stiffer than the Festy ones. If they are the same height, the Aspire springs will actually raise your car a little, giving you an off-camber effect. Probably only slightly, but still. Personally I'd go ahead and cut the front Aspire springs one coil, whatever you do at the rear. Cutting one coil will not make the struts bottom out.

Remember to get good bump stops, especially if you are cutting the springs. These can also be used if/when you convert to coilovers. These are for the rear; I'm not sure they will fit on the front, due to the shaft being thicker. For front bump stops, I'd get these: SB118, from Rock Auto. You can search the part # there.
                            Last edited by TominMO; 10-29-2015, 09:45 AM.
                            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I did notice that the tabs were in significantly different location (& additional) than either the festy or Aspire.

Comment

Working...
                              X