Lowering springs/tire width

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering springs/tire width

Just something to keep in mind when installing coilovers. I have the rear Mk1 VW KYBs on my Aspire, and 10" springs. This lowers the body 2". It was no issue when I was running 155/80-13 tires, but now I have 185/60-14s.
    Tire size..........Tire diameter..........Tire width
    155/80-13.......22.76".....................6.10"
    185/60-14.......22.74".....................7.28"
    As you can see, the diameter is actually a hair smaller for the 14s; but the problem is the width, and I think the 45mm wheel offset too. On really hard bumps, the left rear hits the inner fender. I tried modding the fender, but it didn't help. The extra 15mm of width on the outside seems to be the culprit, probably along with the wheel offset on the Miata daisies. I will most likely be going to 165/65-14 this summer.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

You need more camber in the rear
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      You need more camber in the rear
      Won't help. I went out today and looked at the design of the Aspire rear wheel well. It allows for a wider tire--width turns out to not be the problem here--but not for a wider tire on a 40mm offset wheel, with a 2" suspension drop. Since I can't get the body any higher with this 10" X 1 7/8" ID spring coilover setup, I will swap the Festy's Bilsteins over on to the Aspire. This will allow 12" or 14" springs (2.5" ID), so I can easily raise the body as much as I want. They will be 120# springs, more appropriate for the Aspire, and let me use the 10" 105# springs on the Festy.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
      09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
      X