KYB shock question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KYB shock question.

After going back 5 pages I couldn't find what I was looking for. And the search function isn't helping with KYB being a 3 letter word.
    I'm looking into building my set of coilovers for the rear of my Festiva.

How are the Excel/GR2's compared to Gas-a Just or to the Ultra SR's?

-Johnathan

I have just done the coilovers! I took an off ramp at 60 today. Thats 60 on a complete circle off ramp. I have the tires that charlie talks about on his diy setup.

I would not change a thing. My car is simply amazing now.

Dont waste the money on the top dollar crap. Get the kyb and the sleeve kit and some black magic springs and be done.

Back to your question tho- No clue. my kyb are so good i will never be able to out drive them. I daily drive and will auto x this year. I am going b6t and then big turbo b6t and i find my kyb to be more then enough.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
      I have just done the coilovers! I took an off ramp at 60 today. Thats 60 on a complete circle off ramp. I have the tires that charlie talks about on his diy setup.

I would not change a thing. My car is simply amazing now.

Dont waste the money on the top dollar crap. Get the kyb and the sleeve kit and some black magic springs and be done.

Back to your question tho- No clue. my kyb are so good i will never be able to out drive them. I daily drive and will auto x this year. I am going b6t and then big turbo b6t and i find my kyb to be more then enough.
      All 3 I stated are KYB's just different models within their brand.

Comment

Sorry. Look up my post on diy suspension. I have listed what I used. Best of luck

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

The excel G/ xr2 are generally considered to be stiffer than stock on most applications and are recommended the most on all the forums I frequent. The gas-adjust are more of the cheap just give me something that sort of works. I'm not familiar with the ultra SR line so hopefully someone else has some experience.
          Last edited by blake4591; 02-04-2016, 11:45 PM.

Comment

My cars have the excel/gr2's with coil overs. I love them.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
            92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
            93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

The Gas A justs are valved more progressively than the Excel G. They are a bit better all around, but are discontinued for the MK1 VW, so they can be hard to find. I haven't tried the SR line. The Excel G is just a new version of the GR2. I think they just got sick of painting them silver. Lol
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                The Gas A justs are valved more progressively than the Excel G. They are a bit better all around, but are discontinued for the MK1 VW, so they can be hard to find. I haven't tried the SR line. The Excel G is just a new version of the GR2. I think they just got sick of painting them silver. Lol
                I saw that Rockauto.com has them. The Gas-A-Justs and SR's are more expensive especially with shipping. It seems that they are sending them over from Europe.

Comment

Ahh, good to know! Well, they work well, but the difference is very minimal. Especially when compared to the difference that any of these shocks will make compared to stock shocks and springs.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                    Ahh, good to know! Well, they work well, but the difference is very minimal. Especially when compared to the difference that any of these shocks will make compared to stock shocks and springs.
                    Cool. I just saw that Tirerack.com has the Gas-A-struts too.

Excuse my ignorance but why cant you use mk2 or mk3 rears?

Comment

The MK2/3 rears are significantly longer than the MK1.
                      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

They are longer than the stock festiva shocks. One of the huge advantages to these shocks is that they are nearly 3" shorter than the factory festiva shocks. Shorter shocks require less sag. Less sag means less body roll. This allows us to run soft springs, and no rear sway bar, without excess body roll.
                        The valving on the mk1 KYB shocks actually helps control the cars attitude much better than the stock fitment KYB shocks, while still absorbing bumps as good as the stock shocks (small bumps or high speed bumps these shocks are drastically better than stock).
                        If you read through the Advanced suspension mods thread, you'll see that I originally cut stock fitment KYB shocks down to achieve the same results. This made a drastic improvement in the cars handling cherictaristics. Since that original setup, I've tested lots of different shock setups and decided that the VW mk1 kyb rear shocks are the best setup.

Just saw Nate beat me to it. Lol
                        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 02-05-2016, 08:27 AM.

Comment

You can make them fit, but they're too long. If you want to lower, use mk1
                          91GL BP/F3A with boost
                          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Working...
                          X