Coilovers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coilovers...

^ This is the only obstacle left. I'm going to get another type of upper strut mount tomorrow which should work out better then the one you see in the picture. I'm gutting the Festiva upper strut bearing housings and just inserting that mount into the place which bolts to the unibody.

So yeah... coilovers. Yay.
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
    B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Awesome!!
    Will you do write up when your done??
    Jspec B6t, Starion Conquest intercooler, Greddy Type S bov. Go Fast Bits Mach 1 bov. Spec Stage 4 clutch. SDS engine management.

Comment

What kind are they and from what car? Let us know how they ride and how the camber/toe is after its all done. Also, how much cost are we looking at and spring rates? I'm interested. -Kyle
      Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

Fred's car is like in alot of pieces LOL. Hey, not to help you. But you might wanna use Tein upper pillow ball mounts at least they work for me. Whats the size of the shaft on those vw ones?

Comment

Looks awesome. Really helpful pics. Thank you!
          http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708975

http://p074.ezboard.com/ffordfestiva...picID=92.topic

Comment

So what brand were those? Oh, and what new strut mount did you use?

So... those were for a golf II, right?

Comment

do they have to be coilovers or will a shock and spring combo work

Comment

Coilovers.

You could use a spring and strut combo, I'm sure your Festiva would be awesome with its 12" of ground clearance :lol:
                * Retired Festiva-er*
                1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!

Comment

Hey, B6T - What coilovers and mounts are you using?

Care to share with us so we can all make our cars fucking awesome?

Comment

I'm using Mk3 Golf Non-VR6 adjustable height and dampening coilovers from Apex Racing. Retail price on them was $1800CAD, which is $400 more then I paid for my car. I didn't' pay that much though.

On the rears, the only thing I needed to do was cut about 1/4" off the sleeve that goes through lower mount bushing. The Golf and Festiva rear struts were basically identical aside from that sleeve. Overall length as well as rod and housing length were identical.

The front's were more trickier then the rears. The lower bolt holes were too far apart, so I needed to enlarge the upper bolt hole so that it would fit the Festiva spindle. After that was done, I had to figure out the upper strut mounts. I went through about 5 different combinations before figuring out that a VW Fox upper mount will fit perfectly in the gutted Festiva upper strut mount housing.

That's it.
                    * Retired Festiva-er*

Comment

you are awesome.
                      http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/708975

http://p074.ezboard.com/ffordfestiva...picID=92.topic

Comment

Sweet.. I would imagine no problems w/alignment? Let us know. -Kyle
                        Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

^ Hopefully there will be no problems, but I can see the added width of the strut causing an positive camber change. By positive, I mean more degrees of camber, not positive as it's a good change. This is due to the increased width of the strut housing, which moves the bottom bolt locations farther away from the strut centre line. Hopefully I can buy some of those alignment bolts with the cam on them... a company called Ingalls sells them and they're like $15CAD.
                          * Retired Festiva-er*

Comment

a1 vw's have the bolt witht he solid washer on them for adjusting camber try altrom they carry them.

Comment

All four corners are done... pics tomorrow.
                              * Retired Festiva-er*

Comment

Working...
                              X