Transporting Aspire swap parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transporting Aspire swap parts

I found a complete 96 Aspire with auto trans for my big brake swap ( + wheels, tire, big anti-roll bar, radiator & B3 engine. etc)

Only problem was it was 220 high speed freeway miles away and had hit a pole........Not to worry, at least it ran - mostly/sort of.

So with various sticky tapes in hand and a highly upset wife in tow, we set off at 5AM (at 4-hours before she even thinks about getting up).

Fortunately the front end of an Aspire is pretty tough, and while lots of bent sheet metal and broken plastic was evident, the alignment was still good and motor/trans worked.

NASCAR style tape job worked well, the engine stayed cool with all the extra airflow and the car could max out at +62-mph, although 50-55 was the usual velocity.

No police encountered, although I had a story ready (don't know how well it would have been received though).

So now "the swap" is parked outside the shop, ready and waiting.

Nice story! :-) Glad the wife survived the ordeal. What'd you pay for it? Looks like a good deal for all the parts you can salvage off of it. What was your prepared story for the law?
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Looks like they aimed for the pole. And the aim was pretty good.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I paid the princely sum of $400 for it. I was willing to pay that because I could get it back to the shop under it's own power in a relatively short period of time, and I have everything there to strip it down.

My "story" was basically this was a one way trip and the car was going to be for a Festiva swap. I was hopeful he/she would know what a Festiva was, but figured that would take more talking. I have found that if you can keep a cop talking long enough, they lose interest and let you go with a GIANT warning! Also hopeful he recognized a great NASCAR tape job since NC is home to many of the teams - and they were only about 50-miles away.

I had all the papers for the car and the guy had just got it safety inspected 3-weeks before it got crashed!!!

The guy never told me the full story of the crash, but you're right, he hit the pole dead square!

Doug

Comment

Just curious if the air bags deployed ?
          Only a few and the proud drive Festivas !

Comment

The airbags did NOT deploy - which sort of surprised me too. I guess Aspires are tougher than they look...

Comment

Working...
            X