Aspire power brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire power brakes?

Photo is of the big brake booster on my newly acquired 1996 Aspire.

What is it plumbed into? It looks like some sort of a power brake system?

Looks like there is some sort of electric pump motor to pressurize the system?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

What you have there is an Aspire with anti-lock brakes!!!! Very few and far between.

Comment

Figures I'd get some weirdo....

If I just change to a "normal" master cylinder from a run of the mill Aspire, will that work with my big brake set-up?

Or is it worth while going ahead and using the anti-lock system?

The car is going to be used for auto-x and track days. It is not a dd or street car.

And thanks for the answer!

Doug

Comment

Looks like the master is separate from the abs pump. You can prolly use everything there. Just leave the abs pump.
        91GL BP/F3A with boost
        13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Use the abs system! Easy harness and is standalone. Or if you don't want it, I'll take the rear beam, axles and pump off your hands, free of charge.
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

i don't know if the differences are external or internal but there are 4! different part #s for aspire MC and booster. AT w/o ABS, AT w/ ABS, MT w/o & MT with.

Comment

It is an automatic transmission car - I wanted the bigger brakes and booster.

Will the calipers be normal or will they have some type of ABS sensors on them?

Would the wiring for the ABS system be plug and play into a Festiva wiring harness?

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                i don't know if the differences are external or internal but there are 4! different part #s for aspire MC and booster. AT w/o ABS, AT w/ ABS, MT w/o & MT with.
                The differences are both internal and external. You can't mix and match.

Doug, the calipers will be no different than a regular automatic car, the sensors are located in the knuckle with the tone ring on the axles, and on the drum in the rear. Festivas never came with abs so the harness must be added from the aspire.

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),

Comment

OK, I'm following along and what I understand from everyone's information is that:

1. I can use the Aspires master cylinder and booster and they will function as normal
                  2. I can use the front calipers and knuckles without the ABS being plugged in and they will function as normal
                  3. I can use the rear beam without the ABS being plugged in and they will function as normal

All correct?

And if anyone wants/needs the ABS pump unit and wiring for it come and get it.

Or, if anyone has a non-ABS automatic set of big front brakes & knuckles, master cylinder and booster and rear beam and wants to swap for my ABS set up, come on by and I'll help you remove all the stuff and buy you dinner too.

Let me know ASAP before I start to really chopped stuff up....

dk9betts@gmail.com

Comment

Why do you have to be 6 hours away?!?

Comment

Why the flip do you want ABS? Serious question. Not being a D.
                      Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                      91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Traction control and active stability control... Just add programing.

Comment

6 is better than 12....

If you are serious about bringing me a set of already removed parts, not only will I help you get all the stuff off of my car, I'll also pay for
                          a hotel room for you and wife for a night!

Hopefully your parts aren't real rusty - all the parts on the Aspire are pretty clean.

Plus your wife might like wandering around and seeing the sights.

Let me know if this is of interest to you! Either e-mail me or send a PM and we can work out the details.

Doug dk9betts@gmail

Comment

OK, last chance for someone who REALLY wants to swap me a regular automatic set of big brakes/knuckles/beam/ etc for the ABS system!!! Come to New Bern and I'll help you take it off AND put you up in a hotel for the night!

Otherwise, guess I will be the first person in recorded history to put an ABS system onto a Festiva. And sometime down the road, I will need some technical help hooking up the electrics to get it to work. If anyone has suggestions while I still have the whole Aspire for parts, let me know what else I need to keep other than all the ABS pieces and the ABS wiring harness.

Thanks!

Comment

Do it!

Comment

Working...
                              X