vibrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vibrations

on my 93 festiva gl and as i drive down the highway a vibration in the steering wheel comes and goes. i have replaced the front tired at different times but always noticed that the vibration never went away.

any ideas

Same here. I replaced the wheels and tires to no avail. For me, it starts at about 40mph. If it weren't my only transportation at the moment, I would try to drive something else. It's driving me nuts.

Comment

sounds like a wheel balancing issue to me... maybe a worn tirerod end or a ball joint...

Pics of the Tiva
      Pics of the Cavi

Comment

You would think so. These are new balljoints. I know this because I just completed a Aspire swap. I know from inspection that everything down there is ok.

Would a crapped-out spring or strut make the shakies?

Comment

Some things to look at:
          Did you torque/tighten the nut at the end of the halfshaft properly?
          Did you get an alignement?

Try swapping the tires from the front to the back and see if it goes away. Can you isolate it to one wheel? Could be a poorly balanced wheel.

matt

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
          BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
          BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
          New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

it could also be the axles they can do that
            the blue b6-ze oh yeah!!

Comment

bad struts won't cause the problem but they make it more noticeable, before i replaced my struts the vibrations were so bad i thought the car would fly apart if i went 65, after i could cruise to about 80 before the shakes started getting bad. i have had the tires balanced and rebalanced, no improvement. I'm just going to replace everything when i swap to coil-overs and do my aspire brake swap. hopefully that will fix it... whats the point in an engine swap if i can still only do 85 :twisted:
              Jesus is on my dashboard, But the Devil is under my hood
              1988 ford festiva...in limbo, apartments suck
              1995 Ford Aspire...in limbo, wow i need a garage
              2002 vw jetta wagon 2.0L, neuspeed p-flow 1994 Mercury cougar xr-7 v8, lowered, 18's

Comment

tirods,ball joints,cvcs,wheels out of balance or your tires

Comment

bakerga1969, you haven't been here long and don't take it badly, but I see an award in the not too distant future.

Your advise is sound, but out of date in regards to the thread.
                  Check the date of posting, it's over the poster ID in the dark blue bar.
                  '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
                  '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
                  '92 Aqua parts Car
                  '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
                  '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
                  Your holy ghost will not save you.
                  Your God plutonium will not save you.
                  In fact...
                  ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Wow almost 5 year thread. Congrats !!! LOL

BPT, G5M-R, BP26 Exintake swap + Fidanza cam gear, NSRT4 FMIC + 2.5" piping, HKS SSQV BOV, Exedy clutch, 3" downpipe + 2" all the way back, Aspire brake swap, KYB GR-2 & FMS coil spring , FMS EURO body kit + Carbon fiber hood, Falcon RTX 15X6½ + Toyo proxes T1R 195/45R15

Comment

bakerga1969 - Here ya go! 5 years. Got me beat!
                      Last edited by drddan; 02-08-2010, 02:14 PM.
                      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

HEY HEY HEY! Thats my job! LOL
                        Oh well Ill put this up instead.

And since we arent able to quote threads from the original boards, you only missed digging up 1 of the very 1st threads posted on this Forum by a couple months.
                        Great job! :thumbleft:
                        Last edited by MONSOON; 02-08-2010, 02:42 PM.
                        Search Master - Honorary Member of Midwest Festiva Inc., Gulf Coast Chapter

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
                        - Unknown
                        I don't like superstitious people. They're bad luck. - Serge A. Storms

If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style.
                        - Quentin Crisp

God, please save me from your followers!
                        - Bumper Sticker

Comment

Hey at least they are searching though the boards
                          It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

i have had the same in my festiva. alignment and wheel balancing should be your ticket

Comment

Easy Mistake to Make

I can easily see how one would want to comment on an old thread since so many of them, like this one, are left unresolved. That's a shame. I imagine most of these old, unresolved threads did end with a solution, but the person didn't bother to come back and tell us what that was.

The value of the site would be greatly enhanced if people, as a rule, were encouraged, maybe even hounded, to always post solutions to threads they originate. At one point I remember having a problem which was perfectly described by a thread left hanging for a couple of weeks. I posted a request that the originator come back to tell the "rest of the story." He did, and it helped me.

Would it be possible to have someone responsible for contacting people who start problem threads without reporting how the problem was solved? Or could that be made a task that all of us assume, the way some of us call out people who respond to these old threads?

John Gunn
                              Coronado, CA
                              John Gunn
                              Coronado, CA

Improving anything
                              Improves everything. Copyright 2011 John Gunn

Comment

Working...
                              X