suspension problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suspension problems

hey so I have a festiva that has quite a few problems. I always am told to read forums for answers, but I'm kinda lazy and also kinda bad at looking I guess because I could not find all of the answers I was looking for. first off, where is the best place to buy parts such as outer tie rods and ball joints? I just need a person or two to hold my hand, not actually, I just have a lot of questions and such. lets get started.
    I took my car to my mechanic to get a new clutch and when I got it back I was told I need the following:
    -left ball joint
    -left outer tie rod
    -4 tires
    -2 axels
    -alignment
    I was about to scrap my car, but I love it too much and eventually want to put a BP engine in it. Anyways let me start by saying the tires were so bad that I could see the wire at the end of the tread. I bought 185/80/r13 tires off of craigslist. I wanted bigger tires, little did I know they were HUGE compared to my last ones. In fact, they are so big that they scraped my fenders extremely badly. I took all 4 wheels off and banged the fenders with a mallet for a long time. It made the scraping problem better, but did not completely stop it. My question is, should I raise my car? or should I just buy smaller tires and buy new struts and coils because I need new ones anyways. my dad told me that I just need longer struts and it will be fine, is this true? what would you guys suggest me to do? if possible I want to keep these tires.
    other than that I really just dont know where to get parts other than my local advanced auto shop or offline, where would you suggest me to buy the parts I need listed above?
    I think I have more questions and concerns, just can't think of them right now, I'll be sure to ask if I remember, thanks in advance.
    92 Festiva L - bp & hydro g, advanced coilovers, aspire brake swapped

OK no offense but don't listen to your dad, longer struts will force a new alignment and negatively affect your handling. Secondly, the taller tires will cause longer stopping distance due to the extra kenetic energy. Get smaller tires, like 155/80/13 ( taller than stock and easier to find, plus they won't rub).
    As for the other things, rockauto.com is your friend.

I can walk you through any repairs and mods AND keep you safe.

This may all come off as short and rude, but I get down to business when safety is involved, no punches pulled.
    Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
    94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'll just say that you should really do some research on here before you go off spending money on things like tires you can't use.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
        OK no offense but don't listen to your dad, longer struts will force a new alignment and negatively affect your handling. Secondly, the taller tires will cause longer stopping distance due to the extra kenetic energy. Get smaller tires, like 155/80/13 ( taller than stock and easier to find, plus they won't rub).
        As for the other things, rockauto.com is your friend.

I can walk you through any repairs and mods AND keep you safe.

This may all come off as short and rude, but I get down to business when safety is involved, no punches pulled.
        Hey thanks for the advice, but I think I'm gonna stick to these wheels and tires for now because they look pretty good and the scraping isnt very bad anymore. Is there anything else you could advise me to do? How could I change my struts without negatively affecting my handling? Basically, how can I keep these tires for now and improve my driving experience?
        If you are willing and able to help me then I will probably ask you a few things when I am changing things like the outer tie rod.

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
        I'll just say that you should really do some research on here before you go off spending money on things like tires you can't use.
        I did do some research and I found out that they fit on my car lol. I can use these tires lol this car is my daily, it only scrapes when I have a lot of people in my car or I hit a bump or very sharp turn. I can admit that I should do more research first tho, but I really wanted these because they were off of a '63 ford falcon and have antique hub caps that look pretty cool I think.

Comment

Originally posted by fudge View Post
          Hey thanks for the advice, but I think I'm gonna stick to these wheels and tires for now because they look pretty good and the scraping isnt very bad anymore. Is there anything else you could advise me to do? How could I change my struts without negatively affecting my handling? Basically, how can I keep these tires for now and improve my driving experience?
          If you are willing and able to help me then I will probably ask you a few things when I am changing things like the outer tie rod.

I did do some research and I found out that they fit on my car lol. I can use these tires lol this car is my daily, it only scrapes when I have a lot of people in my car or I hit a bump or very sharp turn. I can admit that I should do more research first tho, but I really wanted these because they were off of a '63 ford falcon and have antique hub caps that look pretty cool I think.
          Share a pick you stinker

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not just about if they scrape or not. You're altering every aspect of the driveability of your car. Negatively I might add. The tires you put on there are *17* percent bigger in overall diameter than what originally came on the car.

For one your speedometer will not read WAY low. When it says 60 you are actually going over 70.
            You're making the engine work way harder to accelerate the car. And more importantly the brakes have to work WAY harder because of the extra rolling diameter and tire weight. Your car is basically dangerous to other people on the road.

Anyway, you can get pretty much everything at autozone with lifetime warranty.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
              Share a pick you stinker

i guess it didnt work or it pmed them to you? anyways here are some pics
              IMG_0537.jpg
              IMG_0560.jpg
              IMG_0583.jpg
              Last edited by fudge; 05-06-2016, 05:44 PM.

Comment

I like that

Comment

It's not just about if they scrape or not. You're altering every aspect of the driveability of your car. Negatively I might add. The tires you put on there are *17* percent bigger in overall diameter than what originally came on the car.

For one your speedometer will not read WAY low. When it says 60 you are actually going over 70.
                  You're making the engine work way harder to accelerate the car. And more importantly the brakes have to work WAY harder because of the extra rolling diameter and tire weight. Your car is basically dangerous to other people on the road.

Anyway, you can get pretty much everything at autozone with lifetime warranty.
                  Oh man I was not aware of these issues. It seems like it made my car faster but that could just be me. It seems you can point out many of the problems these tires create, but can you give me some ways that I could fix these problems? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bhearts View Post
                    I like that

thanks me too lol but I'm not a huge fan of the problems that these wheels have created xD

Comment

Oh man I was not aware of these issues. It seems like it made my car faster but that could just be me. It seems you can point out many of the problems these tires create, but can you give me some ways that I could fix these problems? thanks
                      Bp swap, aspire brake swap and then put narrower tires on those rims. Or You can put narrower and shorter tires on those rims. You dont have to get rid of the rims to get proper tires. Or even just narrower ones if the hight is what does it for you so they dont rub so bad.

Comment

Aspire swap means he won't be able to use the wheels anymore.

Get smaller tires. Like 165/70r13.
                        91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

It's kinda difficult to work around an issue when the only part that is the problem is the one part you don't want to change. As the car sits, if you are forced into an emergency Lane change, the tires will hit fender, and have severe rollover due to the excessive sidewall height. In spirited driving the tires will make the car wallow and go off balance pliss they add stress to brakes and suspension as stated above. We can't stress enough to get rid of those tires, nothing good will come out of them.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Aspire swap means he won't be able to use the wheels anymore.

Get smaller tires. Like 165/70r13.
                            I may sound dumb but I thought you could only put the same size width(the first number) on the same rims. since my tires are 185 width i thought I could only put 185/x/r13 tires on. can you please explain this to me lol. also I have 175/70/r13 tires and rims from my old set, tires are bad tho.

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                            It's kinda difficult to work around an issue when the only part that is the problem is the one part you don't want to change. As the car sits, if you are forced into an emergency Lane change, the tires will hit fender, and have severe rollover due to the excessive sidewall height. In spirited driving the tires will make the car wallow and go off balance pliss they add stress to brakes and suspension as stated above. We can't stress enough to get rid of those tires, nothing good will come out of them.
                            yeah because I just bought these tires, I like the look, and I was wondering if there was a way around them. but since there is no possible way in the world to keep these tires without them being detrimental to my car I will look into smaller ones.

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
                            Bp swap, aspire brake swap and then put narrower tires on those rims. Or You can put narrower and shorter tires on those rims. You dont have to get rid of the rims to get proper tires. Or even just narrower ones if the hight is what does it for you so they dont rub so bad.
                            man I wish I could do a bp swap right now, but I need to fix all of the problems I stated with my suspension. that would be a dream come true to have those things done lol.

Comment

I may sound dumb but I thought you could only put the same size width(the first number) on the same rims. since my tires are 185 width i thought I could only put 185/x/r13 tires on. can you please explain this to me lol. also I have 175/70/r13 tires and rims from my old set, tires are bad tho.
                              Oh man...no.... thats not how it works. The last number is the one that has to stay the same. You cant put a r14 tire on a 13 inch rim for example.
                              91GL BP/F3A with boost

Comment

Working...
                              X