Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragonhealer (ghetto rear camber)

Your PM box is full.

Charlie told me you've successfully done ghetto rear camber via washers on the spindle studs. Can you elaborate? How much camber are you running and how thick of a washer stack did it take?
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

I bought camber plates from moog. Mine are 1.5° each. i have 4 to run -3°. just have not put them on yet.
    1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
    1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
    1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
    19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
    1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
      I bought camber plates from moog. Mine are 1.5° each. i have 4 to run -3°. just have not put them on yet.
      What's that p.n.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

ill look it up in a bit sorry
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I dont really understand how those things work.
            91GL BP/F3A with boost
            13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Just like washers. You just stick it between the axle stub and the beam. You remove enough fingers so it fits around the bolts.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

They have a varying thickness as you go around--one end will be very thin, the other thicker, with a gradual slope from thin to thick. So you rotate it to get it where you need it be be, for what camber you want to dial in.

I'm not exactly sure why anyone would need to change it, except for the last little bit of an edge for racing purposes. For 99% of us, stock is probably fine. Charlie lives in some alternate reality tho, where he must punish Lotuses.....
                Last edited by TominMO; 05-22-2016, 08:42 PM.
                90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If you rotate it you will make toe. You have to pick the camber you want and order the thickness for that camber. Then you remove fingers to fit it around the bolts.

Attached Files
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Negative camber on the rear is very beneficial on the street, especially in wet weather. It improves stability and traction on the rear of the car. I'll text Ryal and tell him to check the forum. He can verify the traction advantage.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Sorry guys, busy with family visiting from back east....
                      yes ,the washers (and steel shims) just take the place of one of those plastic camber shims.
                      It's harder to do, but easier to make changes. NOTE: the camber and toe change with suspension travel !
                      Rosie is a little "darty"at this ride hight (stock front, rear +1.5") with the negitive camber ,but with the trailer on or an engine/trans in the back, it's rock steady. As Charlie points out, the negitive camber helps most with a lowered car. He also points out that 185 wide tyres will hydroplane easily in the wet, this is true! But I finally got the S-drives on Rosie and I love them! We will see how they do in the rainy season (185/55 VR 14), the S-drives have 4 large groves, much like the old Potenza RE 01 R's, should be good in the wet.
                      Last edited by Dragonhealer; 05-23-2016, 12:59 AM.
                      No car too fast !

Comment

Depending on how you rotate it, it would make both toe and camber. If the thickest part was at the bottom, it would give neg camber. With the thickest part at the rear, it would give more toe-in. So to achieve both, you would need the thick section somewhere between rear and bottom. Or use two--one with the thick part at the bottom, one at the rear.

Am I getting this right Charlie?
                        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Yeah, but make sure you know what is the vehicle centerline if the stub axle at the desired ride height. Like Dragonhealer said, as the beam rotates, the alignment changes. You must set the camber and toe for the desired beam angle. It's hard to get it right with 1 try. I've dedicated hundreds of hours to dialing in the rear on my cars.
                          These cars are unstable with toe out in the rear (probably why Rosie is "darty" unloaded). It is important to understand that negative camber turns into toe out as the beam droops. As the beam compresses the negative camber turns into toe in. It's best to set the car up with a hair of toe in at the desired ride height.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Is there a reliable way of doing a wheel alignment without all the fancy equipment?
                            1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

charlie is the expert here, but I use a simple set of toe plates to check toe and a level for camber... just make sure you're parked on a level surface!

~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Working...
                              X