front camber questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front camber questions

Hi all, I'm about to undertake a coilover install on my aspire, and combined with the wheels i have, I would like to have around 1.5 degrees of camber on the front. And I've been looking through a heap of older posts that cover this by notching the upper bolt hole in the hub mount of the strut. But I have struggled to find anything that covers the probable toe issues that come with the position of the tie rod ends of the steering rack.
    I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me? Or if there is a good thread that i have missed and is worth reading, would someone be able to send me in the right direction?
    Thanks.

1.5 degrees of negative camber will work fine. Set your toe to about 2mm total toe in (using toe plates.)

I'm running -4 degrees on all 4 wheels on my WA Festiva and it handles great.
    Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-29-2016, 01:30 AM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
      1.5 degrees of negative camber will work fine. Set your toe to about 2mm total toe in (using toe plates.)

I'm running -4 degrees on all 4 wheels on my WA Festiva and it handles great.
      Is that total camber for both sides? Or 4 degrees per wheel?
      Would love to see what that looks like.

Also, I'm having a rear tracking issue, i have done the washer/camber mod and whilst the toe in is even on both sides, if i hit a bit of a bump on one side, it will try to send the car the opposite way of that wheel. Had any experience with this? I could work it out and get it closer to 0 toe, but not sure how all this will affect the handling.

Thanks for the advice on front camber too

Comment

Originally posted by beazo View Post

Also, I'm having a rear tracking issue, i have done the washer/camber mod and whilst the toe in is even on both sides, if i hit a bit of a bump on one side, it will try to send the car the opposite way of that wheel. Had any experience with this? I could work it out and get it closer to 0 toe, but not sure how all this will affect the handling.

Hmmm. I have noticed this before, but it happens when the car is toed out normally. That leads me to believe that possibly your toed in on 1 side and a little out on the other. You can check that by stringing the car. Google search "string alignment". Or you could have it checked at a shop. Your beam may be bent.

That is -4 degrees per wheel. I'm testing this setup out. I haven't driven it that much or had it on a skid pad or track to push the car. Street driving it seems fine, but will wear tires quickly if the toe isn't set at 0.

Here is a picture of -4 degrees of camber on a Festiva.

Last edited by Advancedynamix; 07-29-2016, 11:34 AM.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by beazo View Post

Just a possibility- i had the same thing on my car for 2 years or so. At the end the back end would swing over just hitting rumble strips. The bounce test told me my rear struts were not bad but i replaced them anyway. They were blown and that fixed it completely. How new are your rear struts? I have seen brand new ones be bad right out of the box if this started right after replacing them. The adjusted toe may have made the problem more noticeable, but a good strut should keep the tire on the ground for most bumps and not let the other tire push the car around.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
            Hmmm. I have noticed this before, but it happens when the car is toed out normally. That leads me to believe that possibly your toed in on 1 side and a little out on the other. You can check that by stringing the car. Google search "string alignment". Or you could have it checked at a shop. Your beam may be bent.

That is -4 degrees per wheel. I'm testing this setup out. I haven't driven it that much or had it on a skid pad or track to push the car. Street driving it seems fine, but will wear tires quickly if the toe isn't set at 0.

Here is a picture of -4 degrees of camber on a Festiva.

4 degrees looks awesome!
            Yeah, I'll be doing an alignment very soon. The string technique works really well. Hopefully i don't have a bent beam, don't really have the money to replace that after getting these wheels, hahaha. Car life i guess. It's still drivable in its current state, just not freeway driving at the moment.
            And Ryan, my shocks are starting to get a bit spongey, probably time to get them replaced.

Are there any direct replacements for the aspire that are better than stock? Or will i have to modify some vw shocks?

Comment

The Aspire shocks are still available, but nearly the same price as the VW shocks I use and nowhere near the performance. A set of KYB shocks for a MK1 chassis golf/Scirocco/Jetta is a cheap upgrade.

Comment

Working...
              X