Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Truss Brace - Anyone done it here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Truss Brace - Anyone done it here?

Over at redpepperracing.com there was a build that involved making fender truss bracing for a autocross build-up of a mid 80's civic.
    Page 10 of 134 - The Kakabox Build - posted in Projects: QUOTE (kakabox @ Feb 14 2006, 11:27 PM)More weight savings:Removed the front bumper cover to expose the steel front bumper beam:...20 lbs. of steel beam and struts:I started chopping off everything that I didn't need to mount the bumper and/or maintain it's shape:...and ended up w/only this:Next up, the 6 lb. bumper struts:...I welded up some 1 x 1 x .065 RHS steel to replace the struts.  These turned out weighing only 1...

It starts at post#144.

Anybody made anything similar on the Festiva? Is there much flex in the front where this might benefit those who like curve carving or those with pushing high horsepower that might be stressing the front?
    I keep hearing how strong the chassis are in Festivas. Maybe this would be overkill and senseless or not? Idk.
    Your thoughts.

frwlfndr_truss_insituwliner.JPG

Gomez's build has that
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

I don't think that type of brace would benefit a Festiva's ability to corner or put down any more TQ. I've personally tested the festiva chassis for 60k track miles on R compound rubber and I have seen no signs of fatigue in that area of the car.
      Chassis flex is a necessary part of suspension. Adding random braces to parts of the car is not usually beneficial, unless there are signs fatigue.
      Chassis flex behind the front axle centerline will have minimal effect on the cars abilityto hook up. This chassis transmits it's wheel driven TQ directly through the sway bar and into the front lower radiator support. the stress is then distributed to the front uni body structure. The weak link is the front lower radiator support.
      It is possible that with extreme amounts of TQ (300 or more ft lbs) and extreme amounts of traction, that the front of the car may try to separate from the uni body in the area that those braces are reinforcing, but this would be a very extreme case and by that point your beyond simple bolt on bracing, you need a tubular front end or tube chassis.
      For corner junkies who want the best experience possible, spend your time and money on some lightweight 13x7 racing wheels and a set of 185/60-13 Yokahama A048r tires and a well dialed in set of shocks and springs. With this setup, and plenty of track time and practice, you can turn under exotic sports cars like the Lotus Exige, Ferrari F430, Porsche Cayman or 911. The Festiva is a well built track weapon, and it only needs a little bit of minimal prep.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 08-07-2016, 12:55 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thanks for explanation. I have to add beefing up the lower radiator support to my to-do list. Saw it being done in a few build threads.

Comment

I would think its beneficial if you look at the high hp cars there all tearing the seems at the firewall. I am working on make a production bracer very shortly. I should be getting.some final piece from plasma cut soon.
          Last edited by Hot_Wheels; 08-11-2016, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
            I would think its beneficial if you look at the high hp cars there all tearing the seems at the firewall.
            Festiva's -or- other fwd cars in general tearing at the seams?
            I am working on make a production bracer very shortly. I should be getting.some final piece from plasma cut soon.
            Cool. Interested in seeing the finished product.
            Last edited by wwwdotgov; 08-11-2016, 11:13 PM.

Comment

festivas. Greg eurotiva posted some pics a while back and there was someone else too. Check my build thread in thr garage section for a sneak peak.

Comment

festivas. Greg eurotiva posted some pics a while back and there was someone else too. Check my build thread in thr garage section for a sneak peak.
                Saw eurotiva splitting chassis pics. I'm convinced that I (and some others) should be adding these as a precaution. I saw the one you started building in your garage thread. Looks like good start of one.
                Last edited by wwwdotgov; 08-15-2016, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X