Help clarify will this work - suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help clarify will this work - suspension

Festiva intention: mechanical simplicity & commuter.
    I drive like a grandpa, don't race, and just putt about.

Autozone has shocks/struts buy3-1free; 4 for $150.
    AND lifetime warranty.
    Also, local opportunity at 4 MK-II springs $50.

Is it this easy?
    $200ish=slightly stiffer suspension without hightech or $$$$$
    good for commuting
    Last edited by meyek91974; 08-20-2016, 04:35 PM.

I don't know if mk2 springs will work on festiva shocks and struts.
    But for slightly stiffer springs aspire work but remember stiffer springs will raise the car.
    If the auto zone struts are Monroe I would pass I did that and they where crap from day one. The kyb's are much better in my opinion.

Comment

Do you mean mk2 Festiva? That would be Aspire. Mk2 VW springs don't fit, and would not work. We use modified Mk2 VW aftermarket coilover shocks with custom rate springs, but the stock fitment MK2 VW suspension components do not fit on a festiva without lots of fabrication.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 08-20-2016, 08:41 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I'm trying to catch on here to what fits.
        My car has 170,000. The shocks n struts and springs have an overall surface rust. The car floats along but that's to say the suspension holds the car up, but standing beside it you can shake the bejesus out of the thing. The back is bouncy, just pop the hatch and push-up pump the car.

So, it could be that the springs are OK to stock strength, and I just need new struts n shocks. I don't want to halfway the job when I'll have the springs off any way.
        I guess I can soak the springs with Evapo-rust to see how good it is. I have never replaced a set of leafs rings just cause Im replacing shocks.

Its to be a simple commuter. Then I drive I go fifty-five to sixty on the highway. No racing or rally driving.

What do yall think?

Comment

Originally posted by meyek91974 View Post
          I'm trying to catch on here to what fits.
          My car has 170,000. The shocks n struts and springs have an overall surface rust. The car floats along but that's to say the suspension holds the car up, but standing beside it you can shake the bejesus out of the thing. The back is bouncy, just pop the hatch and push-up pump the car.

So, it could be that the springs are OK to stock strength, and I just need new struts n shocks. I don't want to halfway the job when I'll have the springs off any way.
          I guess I can soak the springs with Evapo-rust to see how good it is. I have never replaced a set of leafs rings just cause Im replacing shocks.

Its to be a simple commuter. Then I drive I go fifty-five to sixty on the highway. No racing or rally driving.

What do yall think?
          I'm thinking that Festiva's don't have leaf springs and you just need to replace the struts. I got mine from RockAuto, They were Monroes and I ended getting them for like $144 but then got a $100 rebate afterwards.

I haven't felt any problems with my Monroe Struts like stated earlier. The Surface rust on the springs isn't really that big of a deal but since you have to remove them to change the struts you could go ahead and soak them in that Evapo-rust stuff and then just respray them with some Rustoleum.
          "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
          sigpic
          "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
          "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
          "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
          "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
          https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

For normal driving, just get Aspire KYBs. Better damping than Monroes for sure. If you're on a budget or have a cash flow issue, get only the rear KYBs for now, then later the fronts.

While you have the struts off, sand off the rust on the springs and hit them with primer, then with an enamel in the color of your choice. You'll be good to go for a long time.
            Last edited by TominMO; 08-24-2016, 08:19 AM.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Working...
            X