14x9.5 RIMS, IM GOING INSANE!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14x9.5 RIMS, IM GOING INSANE!

So. what do people think of running 14x9.5 wheels. I debated it for a while, Came to the conclusion that the wider the rim. the wider the tyre. the better the traction for doing a quator mile down the line

Owner of NZ's Lowest Aspire (festiva in nz)

Are you thinking of running a 165/55R14 on that? Stance nation would approve of that.
    The Festiva Store
    Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Unless in anything other than perfect weather. Any rain will have you hydroplaning.
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Wider is not necessarily better for traction. Those steelies are sweet though. you will need some mega flares to tuck those.
        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 08-24-2016, 12:45 PM.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Should have read *useless...
          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

So here is an update, I have bought second hand tyres. 245/50/14 Bridgestone eagers. There bald and ruined. But im going to put them on the rims as a bit of an experiment. If i can make the fitment work (there will be a lot of metal and welding potentually involved) I might be the first stupidly widebody aspire on the streets.

Also worth nothing. THese rims poke out from the guard 7cm
            Last edited by SrrTalkalot; 08-25-2016, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Those are steelies? How much do they weigh? You mentioned 1/4 mile traction, but I think you will discover that too wide a tread on a light car will actually decrease traction, due to less load per square inch of tread on the ground. This could get downright dangerous on wet surfaces, like Festyboy said. Plus heavy wheels will both slow down acceleration and increase braking distance.

Recommend you do something sensible, like 14x6 and a 175 or 185 width. Think it through before you do all that bodywork for inappropriate wheels.
              Last edited by TominMO; 08-25-2016, 07:26 AM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'm running 205/45r16s and it's pretty sketchy in the rain me personally I love the fat tire look even if it doesn't help also to help with the load per square inch problem you could run super low psi to help the squish

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                Festiver
                93 L find/5 speed
                BP/g15mr swapped
                Aspire brake swapped
                Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                rustful
                maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                advanced suspension
                kai/skeeter camber
                b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

If anything. I really just wana do it for a laugh. I dont mind hacking up the car to do it. Understandable it most likely handle like a sack of shit but i want a low car on massive tyres

Comment

Jeezuz! 245s? I've had 225s on a 2400lb car. NOT fun in the rain. However they were soooooo stable in the dry.

This is gonna be nuts. I can't wait to see it.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I might have to await a rainy day. Do a burnout. And brag my 1.3l can spin up 245's hahaha

Comment

You might be able to tell. Just 1 very very small issue. I suspect there will be ever so slightly rub in the front. I need to get air in these tyres. But this wide body thing is no longer a joke. Its very very real!

Comment

Light em up. lol

If you have a compressor and a blower nozzle you can also take the valve core out, and it lets more air in faster to seat them.
                          Last edited by sketchman; 08-28-2016, 07:43 AM.
                          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by SrrTalkalot View Post
                            Were those things DIY widened? I haven't looked at many real wide steel wheels, maybe that's how they are fabb'd, but it looks a little "suspect" lol.
                            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                              Were those things DIY widened? I haven't looked at many real wide steel wheels, maybe that's how they are fabb'd, but it looks a little "suspect" lol.
                              I know you can but widened steelies but yeah those look diy good job on the welds who ever made them

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
                              Festiver
                              93 L find/5 speed
                              BP/g15mr swapped
                              Aspire brake swapped
                              Enough little mods I can spend a week trying to remember and still not get them all
                              stripped and sold due to rust

89 festie
                              rustful
                              maybe v8 maybe field buggy wont know till the time comes

93 festie
                              advanced suspension
                              kai/skeeter camber
                              b3t/g15mr

I will own a bpt cd-5 gtx clone one day

Comment

Working...
                              X