Charlie's suspension top hat bushing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie's suspension top hat bushing

Hi gang. I'm in the middle of building my front suspension and I need to come up with a bushing for the front top hats. I don't know how other people are fixing this but I want to order a bushing. Now, My suspension is at home and I can't get the measurements but I did find some bushings on McMaster. Is there anyone that can take a few measurements for me please. I need to know the OD of the VW coilover rod and the ID of the kia rio top hat bore. The depth of the bearing in the top hat bore would help greatly too.

Here's a link to the bushings I have in mind.
    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Here's what I'm trying to do
    Last edited by dliverance; 09-13-2016, 07:34 PM.

Just use a tapered lug nut.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Arorn lug nut will keep it centered but I'm just running mine will the stock nut with no issues.
      Bhaz is too fast for me lol
      Last edited by william; 09-13-2016, 07:42 PM.

Comment

Unfortunately I don't have any spare lug nuts and these would be cheaper.

Comment

Use a tapered or cone seat lug nut like Bhaz said, and so you don't have to figure it out yourself, use ones with a 14mx1.5 thread. I had no idea what thread pitch I needed and looked like a mook walking into places carrying a coilover strut, figured I'd save you the trouble of asking.
          1992 White Festiva GL Sport AKA Project "Spud Missle"

Comment

The dia difference is fairly small... .010-.015" ish IIRC, been a while though. Too small for me to feel comfortable turning a bushing ( I couldn't find bushings that were the right size) and I didn't feel it was necessary to turn down a nut like Charlie did. So I just used some "shim" (i.e. aluminum tape), wrapped it up snug, off to the races.
            ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
            91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
            1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
            2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by Wimp View Post
              Use a tapered or cone seat lug nut like Bhaz said, and so you don't have to figure it out yourself, use ones with a 14mx1.5 thread. I had no idea what thread pitch I needed and looked like a mook walking into places carrying a coilover strut, figured I'd save you the trouble of asking.
              I got these and they were wrong lol. Mine were m12x1.25.

Comment

I just used the nut it came with. Mine feel fine. Ill replace with a lug nut tho as its just easy!
                1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
                1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
                1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
                19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
                1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

I turn the shock shafts on a lathe to make mine fit perfectly.

However, I've used cone seat 14mm lug nuts in the past. They have them at most auto parts stores. They do the trick and you can even buy those crazy spike looking ones if you want to spice things up.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Thats interesting that the ones you guys use have 14mm threads. Maybe thats why there was so much more room on mine. I might use a bushing later. If i notice any problems

Comment

Hmm. I only used lug nuts on the bilstien coilovers that I built several years ago. They may be different from the Graceland style of Coilovers that we use here.
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                      X