Camber bolt issue... suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camber bolt issue... suggestions?

My car is a 2000 festiva trio (aspire to the Americas)

I've installed some camber bolts on the front struts in the top bolt holes as per usual. I've adjusted both sides to max negative camber but it looks like it has only worked on the left side of the car. The front suspension is completely stock too which makes me think it might be a warped lca or something like that.

Any ideas what could cause this?

And yes I have installed the bolts correctly with the handles of the washers towards the inside of the car and the lobes of the bolts positioned so they are pulling the tops of the steering knuckle inward.

I am not sure about a trio. The Festiva bracket has a slight tilt to it and makes a significant difference depending on which way you mount it. Was yours ever removed?
    Last edited by bravekozak; 09-30-2016, 09:57 PM.

Comment

Is that the strut top? That might be it...

I don't think it has been removed. But its a used car so who knows haha
      Last edited by lenlen91; 09-30-2016, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Is there a way to tell if the strut top is on the wrong way?

Here is the right one, the side that I'm having a problem with.
        14752924188901804846621.jpg

And here is the left, this is the side with the negative camber I want.
        14752924649731663480097.jpg

It looks like the right could be turned around 180 degrees so the rubber nipple thing is towards the engine like the left side... but I dunno if it will make a difference.
        Attached Files

Comment

All good. I figured it out.

My strut top was the wrong way around and once I fixed that and re-aligned my camber bolts I checked my toe settings. The front end had about 13mm toe in!!!

So after bringing the toe back to 1mm toe out the camber is perfect-ish haha. After a quick spin around the block in the wet I can already notice this difference. Handles so much better now, turn in is great and understeer has been reduced.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
            I am not sure about a trio. The Festiva bracket has a slight tilt to it and makes a significant difference depending on which way you mount it. Was yours ever removed?
            Thanks for this! I never would have guessed.

Comment

Negative camber plus toe out = inner edge wear
              Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
              94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                Negative camber plus toe out = inner edge wear
                Yeah I know. Good thing tyres for festys are cheap

I'm only running 1mm toe out overall which is less than 1/16" And my camber is only about -1.75 degrees.

After reading a few articles on fwd wheel alignment it seems like the general consensus is that bit of toe out and negative camber is good for reducing understeer and increasing grip. So I thought I'd give it a go

I've been reading a few articles about

Comment

Correct, you should be good then, those numbers aren't bad at all.
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Working...
                  X