1989 change to 13 or 14" wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1989 change to 13 or 14" wheels

i want to change from 12" to 13 or 14" wheel as 12's are getting too expensive...i have stock suspension set up...what i need to know is what wheels will bolt on with no rework guaranteed....I went to that site that lists what fits...spent $180 to buy and ship 94 summit 13" wheels to me...and they dont fit..so only reply if you guarantee something thanx ajbcc2 at charter dot net

Why didn't they fit?

I bolted first generation Hyundai Excel alloy wheels to my stock suspension and brakes with 155 65 13 tires. They fit fine, no rubbing at all and very similar to the stock diameter and width.
    I recommend spending the extra for a quality tire though. I purchased Sunny tires after reading good reviews about them. They made the steering wheel shake at 60-65mph.

Last edited by Advancedynamix; 11-08-2016, 01:01 PM.
    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

How wide were the wheels that you bought and what size tire did you try to put on them?
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

They don't fit because he got the wrong year Summit wheels! Check the sticky to see.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

tominMO...what sticky? the site i found on here had listings of all rims (supposedly) that would fit my 89 festiva...the year rims i bought were listed as ones that would fit....the rims were 13x4.5 but the bolt pattern was off..so i never got them on the car...or got tires for them
          Last edited by ajbcc2; 11-15-2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

avanceddynamics what year Hyundai rims are those?
            Last edited by ajbcc2; 11-15-2016, 12:39 PM.

Comment

firebush357..the rims were 13 x 4.5....but bolt pattern was wrong

Comment

Got it, after I typed that question I thought about the Bolt Pattern as well. Our Stock Bolt Pattern is 4x114.3 unless someone has done the Aspire Brake Upgrade before you got the car then the bolt pattern switches to 4x100.
                sigpic
                "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

Comment

Tomino is Talking about this Forum Thread
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ajbcc2 View Post
                    avanceddynamics what year Hyundai rims are those?
                    Mine actually came on another Festiva that I bought, but I believe they are from a 1988 Hyundai excel. The first set of tires were bigger than these, a 175 60 13 iirc, and required wheel spacers in the rear to clear the factory spring perches on the rear shocks. The 155/65/13 tires clear without spacers though.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

one more question...does the center holes on the hyundai rims fit the festiva hubs?..or are they larger.....my concern is that if the hyundai rims have too large a hold than the centering boss on the festiva hubs...then and lateral force (such as a pot hole) might shear the lug bolts.

Comment

Common sense dictates that the hub bore needs to match or something like described above could occur. That being said, I've been running several rim sets on PA roads for several years without hub rings and have yet to experience a failure with the factory lug studs.

I'm lazy and that's why I left them that way but it's easy to purchase a set of rings to fill the space (or in extreme cases, have them made).
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by ajbcc2 View Post
                          one more question...does the center holes on the hyundai rims fit the festiva hubs?..or are they larger.....my concern is that if the hyundai rims have too large a hold than the centering boss on the festiva hubs...then and lateral force (such as a pot hole) might shear the lug bolts.
                          I've run all sorts of aftermarket and off-brand wheels, which by definition do not conform to the center bore, with no issues whatsoever. My Aspire currently is running Miata gen1 wheels, and my Festy has AR Estella 14" with both Festy and Aspire bolt patterns. This is true whether you run lug bolts or install studs, which I highly recommend. You will need aftermarket lug bolts for the thicker aluminum wheels, but I have found that with the thinner, steel wheels like 1994+ 13" Geo Metros, the stock lug bolts work just fine. The Metro wheels are a perfect fit, center-bore wise, BTW.
                          Last edited by TominMO; 11-23-2016, 07:34 PM.
                          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

The lug bolts are stronger than the wheels themselves when torqued properly and in sound condition. I have broken a lot of wheels to test this theory (or at least that's my poor excuse.)

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                              The lug bolts are stronger than the wheels themselves when torqued properly and in sound condition. I have broken a lot of wheels to test this theory (or at least that's my poor excuse.)
                              I'm recommending the aftermarket lug bolts for aluminum wheels because the alum. wheels are thicker. You need a longer conical area for them than for the stock steelies.

The stock lug bolts have short conical areas, designed for the thin steel wheels. When I initially used them on an alum. wheel, I got shaking at hwy speeds. Switching to aftermarket lug bolts fixed it. Available at McParts stores. But really, lug studs and nuts are the best.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                              X