88-90 Mazda 121 suspension parts compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88-90 Mazda 121 suspension parts compatability

I was trying to find the part number for the Tein coilovers that FMS was selling back in the day. IIRC, the coilovers were made for the 121, not specifically for the Festiva. So I looked for the coilovers by searching the Mazda 121.

I came up with a set of coil springs and a set or two of coilovers for the 88-90 Mazda 121. So the question is would these parts be direct swaps?

Should be.

But I must ask, are you doing this for the performance benefit or for the nostalgia of having rare old school performance parts on your car? A set of the DIY "advance" coilovers will cost a fraction of the money and perform much better than the Teins.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
      Should be.

But I must ask, are you doing this for the performance benefit or for the nostalgia of having rare old school performance parts on your car? A set of the DIY "advance" coilovers will cost a fraction of the money and perform much better than the Teins.
      Great question. I am kind of a parts guy and like finding stuff. Part of my "hobby" as it were.

This is what I found should anyone be interested:

Comment

Running across some other stuff. Will add if I find more.

motorsport,tuningart, Berlin,paypal,ta-technix,TA-Technix,TuningArt,Tuning,Auto,Gewindefahrwerke,Airride,Luftfahrwerk,Serienfedern,Turbolader,Domlager,Benzinpumpen,Wasserpumpen,Sport Bremsscheiben,Fahrwerk, Fahrwerke, Gewindefahrwerk, Gewindefahrwerke, Sportfahrwerk, Sportfahrwerke, Federn, Federnsatz, Federnsätze, Tieferlegungsfeder, Sportfeder, Sportfedern, Sportfedernsatz, suspension, suspensions, competition, Rennsportprodukte, Rennfahrwerk, Straßenfahrwerk, Strassenfahrwerk, Dämpfer, Stossdämpfer, Stoßdämpfer, Schraubfahrwerk, Sportdämpfer, Renndämpfer, Gewinde, Verstellbar, Edelstahl, Rostfrei, Nachrüstmarkt, Komfort, Sportlichkeit, Performance, Fahrwerkssysteme, Motorsport, Amateursport, Tuning, Scene, Tuning Szene, Show und Shine, Tiefer, Tieferlegung, Automobilindustrie, Fahrdynamik, Premiumprodukte, Markenqualität, Anspruchsvolle Fahrwerkslösungen, flexible Fertigung, Rennsportabteilung, Dämpferentwicklung, Kolbenstange, fahrzeugspezifische Gutachten, Einbauanleitungen, Kataloge, Stabilisatoren, Aludomlager, Polyamid Federteller, Edelstahlfederbeingehäuse, komplette Dokumentation, Spitzentechnik, Hersteller Fahrwerkstechnik, Großhandel

Comment

A lot of 121 DB and 121 DW parts are compatible. DW has slightly longer LCA, stiffer springs, larger brakes etc.

There are also mazda 121 models that are rebadged ford fiestas. Found mainly in Europe, I dont think many parts of those would be the same.

Comment

nice find on the HR coilovers. always wonder if there is some advantage to a monotube damper. seems bilstein makes a big selling point of this.
            i am really digging into some archived brain files but way back i wanted to get a set of the teins from FMS and talked to him about them. as i remember, the sets he had were modified a little to fit the festiva. maybe originally made for a DB or Demio. i did a lot of reading on various tuner websites about springs and was given the impression that tein was the least aggressive of the big name spring makers. no matter. FMS was going out of business and never made another batch.
            the SPAX lowering springs are an exact match of the springs FMS used to sell. members here who installed the FMS springs have had mixed opinions on them. maybe they were calibrated for a basic 121. no ATX, no AC and 80 pounds less of FMVSS bumpers.
            here's a set of Eibachs. this guy had 2 sets. i bought a set yet to be installed. they are configured a little differently than the SPAX. good price even with shipping.
            lowering springs for the 95+ kia Pride are substantially thicker but same fit on a festiva damper.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
              nice find on the HR coilovers. always wonder if there is some advantage to a monotube damper. seems bilstein makes a big selling point of this.
              i am really digging into some archived brain files but way back i wanted to get a set of the teins from FMS and talked to him about them. as i remember, the sets he had were modified a little to fit the festiva. maybe originally made for a DB or Demio. i did a lot of reading on various tuner websites about springs and was given the impression that tein was the least aggressive of the big name spring makers. no matter. FMS was going out of business and never made another batch.
              the SPAX lowering springs are an exact match of the springs FMS used to sell. members here who installed the FMS springs have had mixed opinions on them. maybe they were calibrated for a basic 121. no ATX, no AC and 80 pounds less of FMVSS bumpers.
              here's a set of Eibachs. this guy had 2 sets. i bought a set yet to be installed. they are configured a little differently than the SPAX. good price even with shipping.
              lowering springs for the 95+ kia Pride are substantially thicker but same fit on a festiva damper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Eibach-Tiefe...sAAOSwwpdW2Z85
              What is the part number for the Eibach springs?

The only experience I have with a monotube performance damper was with a pair of rear KYB Gas-A-Just shocks on an 83 Celica. Stiff. You couldn't push the bumper down. Due to the light weight of the Celica coupe rear, it didn't overly effect the ride with stock springs. I am sure the H&R coilovers would be unforgiving on a street Festy.

Comment

this is the paper that came with it. it is the HA and VA #s. pretty sure HA= rear VA= frt

Comment

i think the HR coilovers are incorrectly listed for 88 121. the hr# they give 29759-1 is in H&Rs catalog as fitting >1998 JASM type 121. the 88-90 121 is a type JMZ. most likely won't fit. dang and i was all excited where i was gonna blow another $1000 on german engineering.

Comment

Working...
                  X