Bigger Brakes but stock booster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger Brakes but stock booster?

I have bigger Aspire drums in the rear and larger Kia Rio calipers up front.

I was going to use the larger Aspire booster & Master Cylinder. Unfortunately, now I might be required to use the original Festiva booster because.....I will be converting to a hydraulic clutch and may need to leave room to mount the slave cylinder next to the booster. The larger Aspire booster may interfere.

So, can I run the smaller Festiva booster with Aspire master cyl?
    Or....Should I run the original Festiva Booster/Master Cyl and what effect would that have on my bigger brakes?
    Or....Should I just run the bigger Aspire Booster/Master Cyl and just find a alternative area to mount the slave?

In the end, I want better brakes than stock. I wasn't planning going on going with a hydraulic clutch but was thrown a curveball.
    Last edited by wwwdotgov; 02-27-2017, 01:58 PM.

I think you will need all the brake you can get. Have you looked into hydrolicily boosted brake? I.E. using the powersteering as the booster?

Comment

I ran the Festiva booster with an Aspire mc for a long time. Changed to an Aspire booster, the booster does help. Miata mc's and booster are smaller but seems like you need a spacer or some mod to work.
      Jerry
      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I'm running Festiva booster and master cylinder on my Aspire swapped Festiva with no issues. Properly bled and maintained you should be OK.

Ian
        Ian
        Calgary AB, Canada
        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by Team Lightning View Post
          I ran the Festiva booster with an Aspire mc for a long time. Changed to an Aspire booster, the booster does help. Miata mc's and booster are smaller but seems like you need a spacer or some mod to work.
          We're you using bigger brakes front and back too?

Was using the Festiva booster (w) Aspire MC much improvement over a stock Festiva?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker View Post
            I think you will need all the brake you can get. Have you looked into hydrolicily boosted brake? I.E. using the powersteering as the booster?
            Never heard of that. But I don't have power steering and can't add anymore drive accessories to the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by wwwdotgov View Post
              We're you using bigger brakes front and back too?

Was using the Festiva booster (w) Aspire MC much improvement over a stock Festiva?

Im running the Aspire swap, brakes were better with the Aspire mc and even better with the added booster. I'd recommend the Aspire mc even with stock brakes. The only complaint I've ever had with my 90 was the brakes were not good enough. Now they are.
              Last edited by Team Lightning; 02-27-2017, 04:30 PM.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

What kind of pedal feel are you after? The fact is that a bigger master cylinder diameter and a bigger booster DO NOT make the brakes work better, they only change the amount of travel and force required to stop. Most people associate less pedal travel with being better, but that means it'll take more pedal pressure to stop the car, hence the larger booster to accommodate the needed pedal pressure. The car will stop just as fast with a FESTIVA MC/Booster as a Miata MC/Booster, but there will be a lot more pedal travel required, giving the illusion that the brakes don't work as well.
                If you use a master cylinder from a 99 Miata with your stock booster, you'll have a very firm pedal that requires more effort, but the brakes will feel much more responsive. If you use a Festiva MC/Booster the brakes will feel more mushy with more pedal travel but will require less pressure on the pedal.
                For heel toe driving, I recommend a 99 Miata master cylinder as it has the appropriate pedal travel for the height of the gas pedal. The extra pressure required also makes it easier to modulate the pedal.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Personally I prefer distance modulation over pressure modulation as being more precise, heal-and-toe issues not withstanding, but here is the rub with the Festiva MC and larger brake calipers/wheel cylinders : the Festiva MC does not displace enough fluid in this situation to stop the car adequately if one circuit fails, you have to take a quick extra stroke to do that. As noted, in good working order, this combination works fine, but the dual circuit safety engineering physics is exceeded. I'm not the first one to find this out !
                  Last edited by Dragonhealer; 03-01-2017, 06:45 PM.
                  No car too fast !

Comment

I hadn't thought about that. Very good to know.
                    Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                    X