Drag Racing Rear Hubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drag Racing Rear Hubs

Since everyone recommended I keep the front brakes and do whatever I was going to do to the rear brakes on RED, my non-streetable drag racer, here are the initial results.

I modified the rear brake drum to turn it into just a hub. This ended up being a 24-lb weight reduction. This has been done before (I found out) when people were making a disc brake set-up for the rear wheel. This also gave me a lot more confidence in what I was doing.

Once I decided to do that, then a lot of other stuff could be removed - much like Watney lightening the MAV so he could be rescued!

Modify the hubs, then get rid of the all the brake parts and the brake drum backing plate. No brakes, get rid of everything to do with the handbrakes (I'm going to use a "line lock" for staging the car). Get rid of all the rear brake lines.

And while I'm back there ripping and tearing, get rid of the fuel tank and all it's mounts and hangers, along with the fuel filler and vent. And the spare tire well.

And now since things are lighter and I don't want weight transferring to the rear of the car, remove the shocks and springs and replace them with tubular units (thanks AdvanceDynmix for the suggestion & parts).

Still much to do in the rear (lighten the rear hatch, no tail light bulbs, modify the rear bumper) but the back half of the car is coming along pretty well.

More to come when I start work on the front end of the car.

Nice work on the hubs!
    I think we measured a rear hatch (with wiper motor and everything) at 48 pounds, would be interested in knowing your final hatch weight.
    No car too fast !

Comment

Looking Good!
      '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
      '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
      '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

My car has plexi glass rear window. Im sure it saved a good bit of weight.
        1990 (LUCIFER 2.0) fully built BP+T with E153, Fueltech FT500, traction control with hopes of 600hp (i drank to much of the KOOL-AID)
        1990 OverKILL BP+T, evo ecu system, coilovers, aspire brakes, full advanced suspension, Garrett! The Autocross toy!
        1989 (BRITSTIVA 1.0) B6T and sold
        19?? 150$ burnout car SOLD
        1991 (STRESS RELIEF)SOLD

Comment

Originally posted by mikemounlio View Post
          My car has plexi glass rear window. Im sure it saved a good bit of weight.
          Pfff, real pros use 6mil plastic and tape! Lol.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

This is coming along nicely! It'll be very interesting to see what the finished product scales at. Do you have any buddies with corner scales?
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
            X