Installing Drag Racing Rear Beam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Drag Racing Rear Beam

I put the modified Aspire rear end beam into RED, my full time Festiva BP drag racer, yesterday and had a small snag.

I installed the Aspire rear suspension mounts on my Festiva. Luckily I noticed that the drivers side mount (left hand side) had slightly elongated mounting holes, while the passenger side (right side) does not.

When I first started to put the beam in place, the big end fittings on the ends of the trailing arms would not go into the mounts - spacing was wrong. After a few minutes of trying to figure out what was wrong, the light dawned that I could move the left hand side outward and gain some more space because of the elongated holes.

With a block of wood and a small sledge hammer - and after loosening the 3 securing bolts - I was able to move the mount enough that I could get the left side big end into the mount. A floor jack easily pushed it up into place. I had already secure the right side mount and big end fitting in place, so I only had to deal with the one side.

When I go to get the 4-wheel alignment, it is nice to know that I can adjust the rear beam so that the rear wheels will perfectly track behind the front wheels - no rear wheels getting dragged sideways down the track from mis-alignment!

Today I measure for making up my "drag racing" shocks so I can get them welded and installed.

PS - My helper "Hot Rod" checking to see that I did things right!

A big hammer always helps!
    "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
    sigpic
    "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
    "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
    "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
    "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

Why did you use the Aspire mounts?

Also did you cut the torsion beam out? (never mind I see the holes)
      Last edited by bhazard; 06-21-2017, 04:36 PM.
      91GL BP/F3A with boost
      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

A couple of different people said to use the Aspire mounts with the Aspire rear beam when putting it on a Festiva. So I did... I didn't look at the Festiva mounts before getting rid of them, so I don't know if they have the same elongated holes on the driver's side mount as the Aspire. With the Aspire mounts you can adjust the angle of the rear beam so the rear wheels exactly track the front wheels...

Any reason not to use the Aspire mounts???? They seem to fit/work just fine so far.....with the car up in the air and not tires on it........

As you noticed, yes the torsion bar was cut out.

Comment

Working...
        X