Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would anyone be interested in traction bars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been wanting to get my hands dirty on this one, but I've been stuck under a Datsun 510 engine swap project for the last few weeks.

Maybe with the long weekend coming up I'll get a chance.

Something else I've been dreaming about on this project is incorporating LCAs with different balljoints to use a different car's uprights. Perhaps EGT or Protege allowing use of the more common BP shafts - also better brakes than the Aspire swap. I don't know how that will work just yet though...

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy
      I've been wanting to get my hands dirty on this one, but I've been stuck under a Datsun 510 engine swap project for the last few weeks.

Maybe with the long weekend coming up I'll get a chance.

Something else I've been dreaming about on this project is incorporating LCAs with different balljoints to use a different car's uprights. Perhaps EGT or Protege allowing use of the more common BP shafts - also better brakes than the Aspire swap. I don't know how that will work just yet though...
      I like where this is going. More EGT parts! I smell a 4-wheel disc conversion. I am assuming that in addition to custom control arms, the knuckles would also have to be modified? Definately the locations of the knuckles would have to match the shaft lengths. The tie rods may be simple, I don't know. I wonder about the strut mounts.
      BP powered 91 Festiva L
      -FMS springs, GR2 struts, Toyo T1R 195/45/14 on Swift GT alloys
      -Trunk mounted gel battery
      -Suzuki Swift GT seats, Grant GT steering wheel, auto-locks
      -Blaupunkt Melbourne deck with Bluetooth, sealed single 12" sub

Comment

LIKE THIS?
        It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I have ordered the hime joints and that's about it. I haven't forgot about it just been to tied up trying to get the rest done and get it running.
          "Look, I have long hair, tats and smoke like a chimney.. All of my customers know it.. Don't like it? Don't turn over my rock."

RIP DJ

Comment

Originally posted by muscle_Car1
            http://p074.ezboard.com/ffordfestivaaspirefrm35.showMessageRange?topicID=1 40.topic&start=1&stop=20

LIKE THIS?
            Ya, but I didn't like that because you still have to deal with the crappy rear bearings. The Festiva spindle bolts on. I would like to bolt on something else with the spindle/hub/bearings ready to go.
            BP powered 91 Festiva L

Comment

Ugly prototype... Work in progress...

Why doesn't the img tag work with pics in our own fordfestiva.com galleries?

Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Oh well, click these links for pics.

So yeah, I took the day off from working on a 510 to work on the Festiva. Had to do it outside, but the weather was nice enough.

I think this is going to be a really worthwhile project. The stock swaybar would have to be trimmed to be used, but I think it will work better with just a custom fabbed sway bar anyway. Caster is going to be adjustable and there is going to be a little anti-dive geometry built in.

Doing this though, makes me wish I'd just ordered another pair of rod-ends to replace the control arm bushings and built all new control arms (A-arms).

Can't wait to drive it...

Comment

looks nice let me know when you finish that stuff i need something to help get traction in my b6t

Comment

please more pic. and from which car did you get this bar or you did it by yourself?

Comment

It isn't from any other car, I'm in the process of building them from scratch.

This is the only other pic I have.

The silver bar will be cut off at about where the red bushing is and attached with a heim joint and clevis under the red bushing.

Comment

ok thnx but what about the original stablizer do u remove it or also you will connect it

Comment

Doesn't this put stress on the inner control arm mount? The bar you are adding comes out of the control arm at a right angle? Is that why you want rod ends instead of bushings?

I'm still liking the idea of a custom control arm as you mentioned.

So is the anti-roll bar going to be adjustable?
                        BP powered 91 Festiva L

Comment

Looks good! But have you tried to turn your steering wheel full lock yet?
                          * Retired Festiva-er*
                          1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
                          B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

Yeah the steering was close at full lock, but I also have wheels with a lot of offset so it would probably rub on most wheels.

I've decided to hold off on the project for a couple of weeks until I can get down to my friends shop and use his tubing bender. I'm just going to get rod ends for the main CA mount and build full A type arms.

I also have a lead on a parts Tracer LTS so if that comes through I might use the ball joints and knuckles from that to incorporate a brake upgrade.

And yeah, hopefully when it's all done the sway bar will be adjustable too.

Comment

Working...
                            X