Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a 4.5" bolt circle be added to the Aspire front end swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a 4.5" bolt circle be added to the Aspire front end swap?

I know this question is loaded with "why would you want that?" . . . but I will ask it nonetheless.

The Aspire front knuckle swap (complete with larger/forward access rotors) changes the bolt circle to 4 x 100 mm. Can the Aspire hub (and, thus, the rotor) be re-drilled to support a 4 x 4.5" bolt circle? Or is there just too little metal and too great a risk to even try this?

I have ideal 14" rims with a 4 x 4.5" bolt circle (from a Mazda 323), but think that the outdated tiny Festiva rotors (and their inboard mounting) are just too problematic to keep. Other than ditch the rims and go with 4 x 100 mm Aspire hubs . . . does anyone have any experience trying this?
    Last edited by andrewp; 09-30-2017, 09:20 PM.

You can use Capri XR2 steering knuckles and retain the 4x114.3 pattern. Those use the Aspire LCA's instead of the Festiva LCA's
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Canada never got the XR2, so finding parts might be a significant challenge. Still wondering about the possibility of drilling/tapping the Aspire hub.

Comment

I do not know but I would sure be tempted to grab some parts and hold some stuff up and see what I thought. That being redrill the aspire rotor festy lug pattern. Leave the festy rotor off the festy hub run aspire rotors on festy hubs and make a caliper bracket.
        30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Or just get some aftermarket wheels that use both bolt patterns, so you can run the 4x100mm on front and 4x4.5" on the rear.
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

If the festiva front brakes are properly maintained they work well, many people just dont bother. But with new pads, hardware, well greased sliders and new slider boots they work very well. The rotors are a pain but once i stopped over torquing my lug nuts they stopped warping.
            Personally i think waiting to find some multi bolt pattern rims is best and safer and less work, but maybe thats just because thats what i did. I got these for free and they fit the aspire front and the festiva rear.

If your really set on keeping your rims i would just get the front (and rear) brakes properly working with new parts and possibly upgrade the master cylinder and booster? Not sure if anyones done that with stock brakes but i would think it would be nice.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Canada didn't get the Capri but they did get other BF chassis cars like the 323. They are all upgrades over Festiva brakes that are 4x114.3 but they still have the stupid captured rotor.
              91GL BP/F3A with boost
              13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

And going beyond that: Mitsubishi Galant swap...
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I'm headed toward a capri swap, and then Galant rotors,

Comment

Oh yeeeahhh eh dats a good idea. That's so smrt eh ya gotta do it eh good tinkin

Comment

Tell me the weight both rotational and on the workbench of the capri calipers + Galant rotors vs. The Aspire rotors and its calipers and I'll tell you how I don't care even more about 4 x 100.

The only reason to keep that bolt circle is for awesome old school Datsun Wheels heh

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

The stock brakes are all you need with a B3. I just got back from the track and could run a 20 minute session on a 2.3 mile track and never overheated the stock brakes. I didn't even change the pads before going, they're whatever was in it when I bought it. They'll lock up sticky hot track tires at speed so they're plenty for daily driving on street tires. You can add a NB Miata booster/master cylinder for less pedal effort, but stock brakes are great if in good condition. The BF 323 is an upgrade with vented rotors and 4x114.3 but still has captured rotors.
                        '88 L- B6d-Sidedraft Dellorto Carbs-G-Series-Advanced Suspension
                        '89 L B3-5 speed-A/C-Advanced Suspension

Project Goldilocks '66 C10 Short Fleet BBW Build
                        '65 C10 Highly Detailed Stock Restoration Thread
                        '55 International Metal/Body/Paint Work
                        '66 F100 Full Rotisserie Restoration
                        '40 Packard 120 Convertible Coupe Restoration
                        How To Restore and Detail an Original Gauge Cluster
                        How To Detail Sand Body Panels, Edges, Corners

Comment

Working...
                        X