Rack and Pinion Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rack and Pinion Problems

So, after putting all new bushings, tie rod ends, and lcas in my 88 L, I string aligned the toe just enough for me to drive for a day or two.

Took the car to a shop to get it fully aligned and a new muffler yesterday. When I went to pay for it today, he told me that the passenger side of the rack and pinion was really sloppy feeling and needed to be addressed sooner than later.

So, I've looked over a few posts here on the forum and none seem to be even fairly recent. Almost 4 years at the least.

I'm wondering what my options are. If I go for an efi version, what all do I need? Could it be as simple as a new bushing, and if so, where can I get one?

I read somewhere that you could order new bushings from FourGreen for a Kia Pride, but I don't think they'll work with my 88 carb model.

Thanks in advance, Chandler.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Efi rack will swap right in just get the rubber mount bushings that go with the rack. In my opinion the carb racks last much longer than the efi racks. I swap my efi cars to carb racks when they go bad. Also the inner tie rods are different from the efi to carb cars so make sure you have the correct ones for the rack your using. An easy way to tell efi from carb rack is the carb racks 88-89 have a steel tube where the efi 90-93 are all aluminum.
    The festiva store has efi racks for sale also the rio racks work and aspire as well. If your getting a used one that will open more options.
    Last edited by william; 11-08-2017, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
      Efi rack will swap right in just get the rubber mount bushings that go with the rack. In my opinion the carb racks last much longer than the efi racks. I swap my efi cars to carb racks when they go bad. Also the inner tie rods are different from the efi to carb cars so make sure you have the correct ones for the rack your using. An easy way to tell efi from carb rack is the carb racks 88-89 have a steel tube where the efi 90-93 are all aluminum.
      The festiva store has efi racks for sale also the rio racks work and aspire as well. If your getting a used one that will open more options.
      I did somewhat want to keep the style rack I have now, but would install an EFI rack if I had to. How would I go about rebuilding the one I have? I would kinda like to check the inner tie rod ends before I go through with a new or rebuilt rack. Can you purchase just the inner joint, or do I have the whole tie rod?

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly5984 View Post
        I did somewhat want to keep the style rack I have now, but would install an EFI rack if I had to. How would I go about rebuilding the one I have? I would kinda like to check the inner tie rod ends before I go through with a new or rebuilt rack. Can you purchase just the inner joint, or do I have the whole tie rod?
        Yes you can get just the inner ties . Buy in my experience the local parts stores won't have them for the 88-89 they will say they fo but there for the 90+ I get mine on rock auto.
        Easy way to check the rack is turn it all the way one way now grab the rack on the side that is sticking out and wiggle up and down.
        I'm unaware of any bushings for the 88'89 racks but someone used to make them for the 90+

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

You may want to jack the car up and check for play yourself to be sure. I have had alignment shops exaggerate problems. Don't know how many miles you have, but my '89 is at 200,000 and if I wiggle the inner tie rods around it is still solid as Sears. Sorry, bad joke. Even my inner tie rods are still in great shape. The older racks do seem to be more substantial. If you do a good string alignment you shouldn't need a shop to do it. Good luck!

Comment

The bushing that 4green sells works for the older steel racks.
            The Festiva Store
            Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Originally posted by nonamekid View Post
              The bushing that 4green sells works for the older steel racks.
              Are you sure? I'd hate to buy them and it not work. Dont think ive ever heard of the older racks having them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

The older racks had bushings, they were just smaller than the aluminum ones. The slop your mechanic is describing sounds like the bushing on the passenger side is gone. This is the problem I see on almost every core I get in return. From what I have been told about the bushings that are available through fourgreen, they are the smaller ones and are designed for the steel bodied racks. I can't offer a guarantee on that, but that is what I have been told. Someone has a set in the states, but I can't remember who at the moment or what they did with them.
                The Festiva Store
                Specializing in restoration, tuning and custom parts.

Comment

Working...
                X