Rio KYB front coilovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rio KYB front coilovers?

Has anyone made front coilover struts with KYB 2001-02 Kia Rio struts and tops? Since I already have the struts/tops and they presumably have better damping than stock Festiva ones, being made for a heavier car, I was thinking of trying to go this route. But I don't want to re-invent the wheel if it has been done before (or has been shown to be not a good way to go), and hope to benefit from someone else's experience. I was thinking of going with 2.5" wide, 12" or 14" long, 120# springs from SW Speed. Right now I'm just running stock 105# Festiva front springs, cut one coil.

I figure I would have to grind off the stock lower spring perch on the strut, then slip the threaded sleeve over the strut for the adjusting nut to thread onto. Not sure what I will do for a top hat. It would be nice if I could buy a good machined aluminum pair from someone here.
    Last edited by TominMO; 12-23-2017, 02:44 PM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Haven't tried playing with the Rio strut on the Festiva, but probably have the top hats you want. Will check in the morning!
    No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
      Haven't tried playing with the Rio strut on the Festiva, but probably have the top hats you want. Will check in the morning!
      Thanks Ryal! Apparently no one has ever tried this, which surprises me a bit.
      Last edited by TominMO; 12-28-2017, 09:21 AM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I do have a pair of 2-1/2" tops, the center hole may have to be sized up, looks a size too small for the Rio threaded part.
        Shoot me a shipping address and I'll get these off to you.
        I think someone tried the whole strut and the car was too high, then cut the springs and found it too stiff after that.
        Last edited by Dragonhealer; 12-28-2017, 10:46 AM.
        No car too fast !

Comment

Yeah.... The Rio struts are not ideal for a Festiva.
          91GL BP/F3A with boost
          13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

Originally posted by bhazard View Post
            Yeah.... The Rio struts are not ideal for a Festiva.
            That's kinda what I suspected, damping-wise, but if you got 'em already and want to have a higher spring rate, I figured it would be worth trying out. I would only be out maybe $130 or so for the specific coilover parts from SW Speed. Think I'll get into it this spring and report back.

I do have a pair of 2-1/2" tops, the center hole may have to be sized up, looks a size too small for the Rio threaded part.
            I think someone tried the whole strut and the car was too high, then cut the springs and found it too stiff after that.

I'll take 'em, thanks! LMK how much you want for them. PM coming.
            Last edited by TominMO; 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

^ you wont be out anything but some time if it doesn't work just get some mk3 struts you'll need the springs anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                ^ you wont be out anything but some time if it doesn't work just get some mk3 struts you'll need the springs anyways.
                Excellent point! :-)
                Last edited by TominMO; 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Sent you another PM but your box is full!

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Sorry, inbox full is the story of my life.
                    Cleared some space.
                    Last edited by Dragonhealer; 12-29-2017, 07:55 AM.
                    No car too fast !

Comment

Sorry, inbox full is the story of my life.
                      Cleared some space.
                      Thanx, PM sent.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                      X