Question on poly bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on poly bushings

I used to have poly bushings on my Festiva, where the sway bar meets the LCA. Replaced 'em with stock rubber ones due to too much vibration. I would love to have them back as part of upgrading the handling, along with the LCA-to-body and sway bar-to-body poly bushings. But I really don't want it to vibrate me like I'm in a massage chair.

Thinking back, maybe the reason it vibrated (at hwy speeds) was mainly due to a poor front alignment setup. And of course the rear alignment had not been modded from stock either.

So my question is, with proper neutral toe-in front and rear, would most or all of the vibration go away?
    Last edited by TominMO; 03-24-2018, 09:36 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Hey Tom, I have the full set of Poly bushings and have had no vibrations and I think you know what my set up is, the front was aligned a few years back when I bought the bushings from Ben at the Festiva store, it has slight toe in and camber is set at,

-.5 on passenger side and
    -.8 on the drivers side
    with it set this way it does not hunt going down the road, drives quite easy.

Good luck.
    An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Originally posted by sc72 View Post
      Hey Tom, I have the full set of Poly bushings and have had no vibrations and I think you know what my set up is, the front was aligned a few years back when I bought the bushings from Ben at the Festiva store, it has slight toe in and camber is set at,

-.5 on passenger side and
      -.8 on the drivers side
      with it set this way it does not hunt going down the road, drives quite easy.

Good luck.
      Thanx 4 the feedback, Karl!
      Last edited by TominMO; 03-24-2018, 07:28 PM.
      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
        I used to have poly bushings on my Festiva, where the sway bar meets the LCA. Replaced 'em with stock rubber ones due to too much vibration. I would love to have them back as part of upgrading the handling, along with the LCA-to-body and sway bar-to-body poly bushings. But I really don't want it to vibrate me like I'm in a massage chair.

Thinking back, maybe the reason it vibrated (at hwy speeds) was mainly due to a poor front alignment setup. And of course the rear alignment had not been modded from stock either.

So my question is, with proper neutral toe-in front and rear, would most or all of the vibration go away?
        Vibrations only result from alignment when something is VERY wrong, like having 3* of toe or more, or something being loose.
        The most likely cause of vibration at highway speed is driveline imbalance. And the most likely culprit there would be wheel imbalance.
        A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
        Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_RallyX_82 View Post
          Vibrations only result from alignment when something is VERY wrong, like having 3* of toe or more, or something being loose.
          The most likely cause of vibration at highway speed is driveline imbalance. And the most likely culprit there would be wheel imbalance.
          Thanks, I'll bear that in mind too.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Did the vibration go away when you put the regular ones back in? And if so did you change anything else when you replaced them like wheel alignment, new tires, tire balance....
            I cant see them causing vibration at all, plenty of people use them. They will transmit more road bumps to the car is all.
            I have the poly bushings on the sway bar to the rad support but not at the lca's and my car drives nice.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ryanprins13 View Post
              Did the vibration go away when you put the regular ones back in? And if so did you change anything else when you replaced them like wheel alignment, new tires, tire balance....
              I cant see them causing vibration at all, plenty of people use them. They will transmit more road bumps to the car is all.
              I have the poly bushings on the sway bar to the rad support but not at the lca's and my car drives nice.
              The vibration did go away when I reinstalled the rubber ones, yes. The only poly ones I was using were the swaybar-to-LCA ones. Nothing else was changed; but perhaps the rubber ones were masking a slight imbalance in the wheels, or incorrect toe.

I had the poly ones on a few years ago, with different (heavier) tires/wheels, and also full ride height on stock struts.

Now everything is different. This summer I am going to make some changes: rear camber/toe plates, poly bushings, front coilovers (already have rears), and go back to a Festiva sway bar (I have an Aspire one on there now).
              Last edited by TominMO; 03-25-2018, 08:26 PM.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Full polly on both my BP swaped cars with no vibrations.
                ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
                91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
                1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
                2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

The vibration did go away when I reinstalled the rubber ones, yes. The only poly ones I was using were the swaybar-to-LCA ones. Nothing else was changed; but perhaps the rubber ones were masking a slight imbalance in the wheels, or incorrect toe.

I had the poly ones on a few years ago, with different (heavier) tires/wheels, and also full ride height on stock struts.

Now everything is different. This summer I am going to make some changes: rear camber/toe plates, poly bushings, front coilovers (already have rears), and go back to a Festiva sway bar (I have an Aspire one on there now).
                  What condition are the rubber bushings? If an alignment was done with old, squished bushings, it would definitely mess with angles when putting in new bushings
                  A mechanic knows how; A technician knows why.

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Frankie" 1957 Chevrolet 3100, NA 2bbl 283cuin, Muncy Granny 4sp, 3.90 Open Diff @ ~95K miles

Wrecked. Repairs in Progress"Alice" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @150k miles

Reassembling"Aurora" 1991 Ford Festiva L, NA EFI B3, 5sp @240k miles

FB Festiva page: Jared Bennett
                  Instagram: jaredbear82

Comment

Originally posted by Sid_RallyX_82 View Post
                    What condition are the rubber bushings? If an alignment was done with old, squished bushings, it would definitely mess with angles when putting in new bushings
                    The rubber bushings were either new or very good. Also, my alignment technique/tools back then was not as good as now (string instead of camber plates). :-/

Disaster preparedness

Comment

Working...
                    X