92-95 civic coilover sleeves...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 92-95 civic coilover sleeves...?

Hey guys, i have some toms motorsports generic coilovers for a 92-95 civic and i was wondering if anybody has used these?!? the width looks good but i don;t know about the height....anythoughts?
    1992 Festiva
    2002 Jetta 1.8T

I replaced my FMS springs with these for a short period before I got my full coil-overs. The GR-2s I was using them with are far too soft to work well with a spring this stiff. I was bouncing all over the road, like a ricer. It was really annoying.
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
    B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

Comment

hmm, i have GR2's on order right now. it's either this or stock. i might just try it. i am used to a stiff somewhat bouncy ride. if not i guess i can always switch it.

any pics?? how much did it lower you?!?
      1992 Festiva
      2002 Jetta 1.8T

Comment

Keep the struts and get FMS springs to go with them and some very low profile tires. I got 195/45/14's with kyb gr2's and fms springs. What a difference, like a big go cart.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
        BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
        BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
        New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

well the thing is, this isnt something i was planning on spending money on. these springs are free. i am not really putting rims on it, maybe just bigger 13" steelies. lol
          i just thought a nice drop would look a little better and feel better to me as i am used to driving lowered cars.

i just need to know if it';s possible and how much the drop will be. i am not buying anythng else. either stock or this.
          1992 Festiva
          2002 Jetta 1.8T

Comment

Well then give it a try and let us know how the ride is. We're always looking for lower cost ways of doing stuff.

BP Festiva http://www.cardomain.com/ride/723319 - SOLD
            BPT Festiva www.cardomain.com/ride/2260009 - SOLD
            BPT GTX www.cardomain.com/ride/2436495 - SOLD
            New GTX - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3294846/ - SOLD

Comment

i am going to. i dropped them off to be put in tomorrow. i will let you know how it goes.
              1992 Festiva
              2002 Jetta 1.8T

Comment

well they are in!!! the ride is really really stiff!! because there is no weight in the back on big bumps and dips it almost wants to get airborn because its so stiff. once i get a stereo back there it won't be too bad i guess.

overall i am please with it. drop isn't too bad at all, really stiff and handles great. smooth over smaller bumps and cheap.

pics coming soon
                1992 Festiva
                2002 Jetta 1.8T

Comment

what are the spring rates on these things?

if the springs are a relatively standard ID then you could always call Ground Control for some softer eibach springs.

What spring rate do you guys think is ideal or at least cloes to critically damped for the GR2?

Comment

well mine are about 900 lbs, hehe what is rediculus! I can't wait to get some FMS lowering springs. The coilovers would be great if it wasn't a everyday driver. But going on the highway to the last car meet was just painful.

Logan

Comment

I'd believe that!

One thing you can't forget when using anything designed for the honda double wishbone type suspension is that the motion ratio is completely different to a macstrut suspension. The wishbone will always have stiffer spring rates to a comparitive feeling mac strut.

for me, the important thing/question is, how is the fitment of the threaded collar on the GR2's? If its good and tight, then picking up some 200lb springs is relatively cheap and easy.

Comment

The sleeves have these rubber rings you put around the strut housing first, then slid the sleeves over them, You have to use some trial and error, because they come with a bunch of different sizes for different setups. Mine don't rattle at all. The only extra noise my car makes is when I turn to hard the altenator with rub the side of the engine bay.

I do like the coilovers, if there was a way to get different springs for them I would love them, but for now they will do. Im more focused on getting this thing to 300 horsepower, then I will worry about the suspension when I start fine tuning it.

Logan

Comment

thanks logan!

sounds like a similar setup to Ground Control. It shouldn't be a problem getting some softer springs. Any idea what the inner diameter of the springs are? If GC has softer springs in this size, it should make for a better combo than the FMS spring and GR2's. Those are simply too low and too soft. I'd rather have a bit firmer spring rate at a higher ride height.

any links to this particular setup? or will any coilover sleeve kits for the aforementioned honda civic years work?

Comment

Working...
                          X