Festiva rear spindle thread size???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva rear spindle thread size???

What is the size and thread of the rear spindle nuts on 88-93 Festiva's??

I want to buy a die for each side (left and right hand threads) so I can clean up/chase the threads to get rid of any small burrs or nicks in the threads.

Thanks!

OK, I have done more research and here is what I found - BUT I want to check with members that this is correct!!

Spindle size (shaft and nut) is 16 mm x 1.5 mm Passenger side is LEFT hand threads Drivers side is RIGHT hand threads

You can purchase a die (I've seen it as dye and as dice...) in HSS (high speed steel) for cutting brand new threads, or you can buy a "re-threading die" which is for just cleaning up dinged up or threads with burrs or lightly damaged threads. Re-threading dies are much cheaper than HSS dies.

The dies are shaped either as a giant 6-sided nut or are circular.

The "nut shaped" one can be used with either a socket or a adjustable wrench while the "circular" one needs a special holder.

Which ever one you use, just use your hand to get the die started on the threads IF possible - you don't want to screw up the threads even more!

Both the LH and RH dies are available from Tapco Cutting Tools, phone 815-877-4039

Amazon carries this die -- but watch out because some are foreign and come from all parts of the world and are not in stock!

Dorman Products seems to be the major maker of the spindle nuts for the aftermarket stores (AutoZone, etc).

Their P/N is 04986 for LEFT hand thread.

Their P/N is 05187 for the RIGHT hand thread. This nut also fits the following cars, so they are potential sources for the nut:

Chevrolet Rear 2000 - 87
    Ford, Right rear, 1993 - 88
    Geo, Rear, 1997 - 89
    Mazda, Left rear, 1989 - 88
    Mazda, Rear, 1987 - 86
    Mercury, Right rear, 1994 - 88
    Suzuki, Rear, 2001 - 95

Comment

I bought an hss one off ebay for cheap after my threads got messed up, i think it was $10 for the left hand thread. Worked fine for fixing my threads. 2 spindle nuts off rockauto cost more than the die

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by ryanprins13; 07-08-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

If you want to save a lot of money, just cut a slot in a junkyard axle nut.

It will chase the threads as you spin it on and off. Aloha.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 07-08-2018, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
          If you want to save a lot of money, just cut a slot in a junkyard axle nut.

It will chase the threads as you spin it on and off. Aloha.
          That works well on a lot of threads, but I found the spindles too hard for the soft nut to do much good.
          No car too fast !

Comment

You can buy thread files that have different pitches, 1 file will have 8 different thread pitches on it, 2 files 16 pitches and you should be able to repair external threads on anything you run into for the rest of your life, And they are files so they work on hardened metal I have repaired other spindles with them.
            Last edited by ricko1966; 07-11-2018, 07:46 AM.
            30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

Originally posted by ricko1966 View Post
              You can buy thread files that have different pitches, 1 file will have 8 different thread pitches on it, 2 files 16 pitches and you should be able to repair external threads on anything you run into for the rest of your life, And they are files so they work on hardened metal I have repaired other spindles with them.
              I tried to use a thread file on mine and couldnt fix it. Got another guy to try it too and it still wasnt fixed. Best thing to start with for sure though!

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X