Crazy big brake idea!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazy big brake idea!!!!

That is a pic of a big brake bracket for a gm A body we used to make similiar brackets for our VWs back when I was into them. My car has a RIO front swap and aspire rear swap and I am not super happy with it. So next car I was thinking make caliper brackets,use stock festiva hub without the festiva rotor,use the hub as a hub for a hub and hat style front swap. The way I see it 8 longer lug bolts, 2 homemade brackets 2 JY rotors and calipers and you'd have a cheap easy big brake kit,as well as easy future rotor changes. Have any of you already tried this?Or am I starting from scratch on what rotors and calipers,I actually have 1/2 a mind to use the stock festy calipers just relocated out an inch or two depending on the rotors. FWIW any offset problems can be remedied by putting shims between the bracket and spindle or the caliper and the bracket.If you can drill out the old rotor bolts and shatter the rotor you could even do this without r&r of hubs.
    Last edited by ricko1966; 10-01-2018, 02:27 PM.
    30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

I like the way you think ricko. I think it might be a viable conversion however for me the advantages don't outweigh the actual head scratching, time and money involved in pulling it off. Just my 2 cents
    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

I've got huyndai elantra wheels on the one car so I think I'm going to look at some elantra rotors and see what the offset looks like.The stocker has warped rotors so I have to dig into it anyway I'll keep you posted.
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I dont know anything about what you plan to do, sounds a little confusing to me, but what dont you like about the rio and aspire brakes?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

What I am talking about is leaving the festy rotors off and putting hundai rotors over the festy hubs, relocating the calipers as necessary with a bracket,and using longer lugs to make sure I can go through the wheel through the rotor and still have plenty of lug threaded into the festy hub. I haven't actually set up a course yet to see how my two cars compare in turning radius and ackerman but the RIO swapped car does not seem to have as tight of turning radius and I suspect the geometry of the RIO knulckle is not right for our cars,I am pretty certain the turning radius on the rio swapped car is significantly bigger,bur haven't measured it yet.And if I have to change the rotors on my stock 89 anyway, if I can make them hub and hat style instead of captured rotor, without a lot of work and money I am going to.Relocating the caliper out an inch or two and using a larger diameter rotor, best way I can explain it is it gives the brakes more leverage just like when you use a longer cheater bar.
          Last edited by ricko1966; 10-01-2018, 11:34 PM.

Comment

All true, and the bling points would be cool, but if the Rio brakes aren't enough for you, I'm guessing you need to throw out those ceramic pads and get good semi metallic ones in there. The stock brakes on Ethel (1993 GL sport) are fine even towing a Miata on a trailer! ( Yes, the rotors are blue after that, but no issues at all)
            No car too fast !

Comment

This is what I have using aspire knuckles and egt rotors and wilwood calipers.

received_1662348317169019.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                This is what I have using aspire knuckles and egt rotors and wilwood calipers.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22360[/ATTACH]
                That looks like a good setup, we will be trying a set of Wilwod Dynalites on a TT Festiva, but using the smaller Aspire/90 Miata rotors.
                The Dynalites are super light!
                No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by theastronaut View Post
                  These should get the job done.

Been towing rockets to the pad, have we?
                  No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by hofficergrover View Post
                    This is what I have using aspire knuckles and egt rotors and wilwood calipers. That looks like a good setup, we will be trying a set of Wilwod Dynalites on a TT Festiva, but using the smaller Aspire/90 Miata rotors.
                    The Dynalites are super light!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]22360[/ATTACH]
                    I am curious about the price of these Dynalites. I looked on eBay and couldn't find them to fit the Aspire knuckles. Do you have a part number?
                    Last edited by Rick the Quick; 10-29-2018, 11:37 AM.
                    '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                    '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                    '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                      I am curious about the price of these Dynalites. I looked on eBay and couldn't find them to fit the Aspire knuckles. Do you have a part number?
                      Haven't found ones that are a direct fit, doesn't mean they don't exist.
                      We have to make adaptor brackets to fit them

Sometimes you can find good used ones on eBay for cheap.
                      Last edited by Dragonhealer; 10-29-2018, 12:28 PM.
                      No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                      X