Dumb question about wheel bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question about wheel bolts

Here's a dumb question, and I apologize that I wasn't able to find the answer despite searching.

Did alloy rims come with longer lug bolts? I'm switching from steel rims to the aluminum, and they are thicker at the bolt hole. If so, I'll need to see about finding a longer set of lug studs/wheel bolts/bolty thingies.

Actually a pretty smart question, shows you're thinking. But very likely the same bolts were made long enough to be used for both. I think the little 12" aluminum Festy wheels are not all that thick at the bolt holes, compared to aftermarket ones.

You definitely need longer bolts for aftermarket aluminum wheels; or better yet, install the screw-in Gorilla studs with red Loc-tite. They come in three sizes (see last letter in part #): S, L and XL. I recommend L in case you later go to aluminum aftermarket wheels.
    Last edited by TominMO; 10-03-2018, 06:48 AM.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Not all of the Aluminum Aftermarket wheels require longer studs but the Screw in studs so you can use Lug Nuts make things much easier when mounting wheels.
      "The White Turd" 1993 Festiva 144k miles. (Winner of FOTM November 2016)
      sigpic
      "The Rusty Banana" 1990 Yellow 5 Speed Mud Festiva (Lifted with 27" BKT Tractor Tires)(Winner of "Best Beater Award" - Madness 12 - 2018)

"Papa Smurf" 1992 Blue 5 Speed Shell
      "Cracker?" (name pending) 1992 White Auto Shell (Future BP Swap)
      "Green Car..." Scrap Car that Runs?!?
      "Red Car..." Complete Scrap Car

"El Flama Blanca" 1993 Festiva 104k miles. (Lil Brothers Car)
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzM...ew?usp=sharing

Comment

I believe you only need longer ones if you switched to aspire brakes. If you still have festivas brakes the stock ones are likely fine. I bought longer ones but i cant remember offhand what vehicle they were for. Ill think about it for a while and if i dont remember by the end of the day i can look back through my rockauto orders and find out.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Here. 2006 mini cooper lug nuts. They are longer and have a 17mm head instead of 14mm.

Comment

Thanks all! I neglected to mention that it's the stock aluminum rims (cleaned and painted, etc), that will be taking over for the steelies. Still rocking the stock brakes all around.

Comment

Your still good then. Stick the bolt through the hole in the rim and youll see how much sticks out the back to thread into the hub. Quite a bit. They came stock with those aluminum 12in rims and the stock bolts

Comment

VW rabbit,golf,jetta,scirrocco used longer lugs on alloy wheel cars.Thats what I use.
                30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I'm with the Tom in Mo. Gorilla screw in studs. It seems like it was Tom who sold me on them and I have no regrets especially now that I am running 10mm spacers on the rear with my 14" wheels. The studs make changing wheels so much easier especially in the dark.......in the dark? Who works in the dark? Probably none of us but get a flat at midnight and you will be glad you have studs to hang the wheel on.
                  '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                  '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                  '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

My stock studs on Rosie also work fine with the old RX7 Phone Dial wheels.

I think it's mainly when you go to the Aspire, etc. front knuckles that the removable rotors (which aren't threaded) add some thickness (about 12mm or so) and make stock studs questionable.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
                      I'm with the Tom in Mo. Gorilla screw in studs. It seems like it was Tom who sold me on them and I have no regrets especially now that I am running 10mm spacers on the rear with my 14" wheels. The studs make changing wheels so much easier especially in the dark.......in the dark? Who works in the dark? Probably none of us but get a flat at midnight and you will be glad you have studs to hang the wheel on.
                      Going off topic here, but for a good cause.....

At Wal-Mart they have cheap plastic Chinese headlamps for one dollar in the camping section. Very handy to have in the glove box. Not the greatest of course, for a buck, but they will certainly get you through a tire change at night, for example. It uses two of the flat watch batteries, CR2025 IIRC, Costs more to buy new batteries than to buy another headlamp! :-) Even with the Chinese batteries the lamp is good for a few hours.

I keep a couple in my toolbox, and in my kitchen junk drawer.
                      Last edited by TominMO; 10-04-2018, 06:02 AM.
                      90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

See what you started Tom? Now I will go further off topic. Here are the only two items I purchase from Harbour Freight.
                        The first one being a 20? ounce universal, disposable paint cup for gravity fed paint guns and the other item is the blue LED flashlight. It's small enough to hold in your mouth. The flashlight is decent when they work and they use 3 AAA's. I keep them in the cars and all over the house and shop. They are sometimes free with any purchase and sometimes I breakdown and buy the 2 pack for $2.99. 100 AAA's are as low as $20 delivered to your door on eBay.

'88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
                        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
                        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

In my experience the problem area with Chinese AAA flashlights is the switch. I have recently bought some with the newer square LEDs from Wal-Mart (Ozark Trail brand) and Lowes that seem decent.

Disaster preparedness

Comment

I use green rechargeable batteries in almost everything from remotes to flashlights. I started doing that when I got an XBOX360 that had a wireless controller, and those same batteries from four years ago are still holding charges.

It's an excellent point about the studs - I would be inclined to use GREEN Loctite on them instead of red though, machinists use that on internal parts to make sure nothing comes unglued
                            * Green loctite has to be heated to 500 degrees f. to make it release
                            Last edited by Greywolf; 10-04-2018, 02:20 PM.
                            Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
                              I use green rechargeable batteries in almost everything from remotes to flashlights. I started doing that when I got an XBOX360 that had a wireless controller, and those same batteries from four years ago are still holding charges.

It's an excellent point about the studs - I would be inclined to use GREEN Loctite on them instead of red though, machinists use that on internal parts to make sure nothing comes unglued
                              * Green loctite has to be heated to 500 degrees f. to make it release
                              I have had my front brakes over 450f and i dont even race, lol. Is there loctite that can take more heat than that?

Comment

Working...
                              X