No announcement yet.

Dumb question about wheel bolts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if normal studs can be installed - the ones with a mushroom head on the back that are pulled through or pressed into place

I kind of doubt there are any hubs or rotors that have studs instead of bolt holes, especially captive rotor type for the front

Sent from my Plain Old PC using Greasy Fingers...
    Last edited by Greywolf; 10-04-2018, 04:01 PM.
    Most people don't drive what they want at all, and never will

Comment

We used to spot face the backs of drums and hubs and press in studs all the time when I worked at the machine shop. I've also seen people screw button head allens in from behind and tack weld them, that always intriqued and scared me but not enough that I ever researched it.
      Originally posted by Greywolf View Post
      I wonder if normal studs can be installed - the ones with a mushroom head on the back that are pulled through or pressed into place

I kind of doubt there are any hubs or rotors that have studs instead of bolt holes, especially captive rotor type for the front

Sent from my Plain Old PC using Greasy Fingers...
      30 + Vehicle projects right now.7 Festiva/Mazda 10 GM IDK how many others,hope that helps explain all the stupid questions/shortcuts/interchanges etc. trying to liquidate so I concentrate on the good ones. Goal finish 1 amonth using as much stuff as I already have accumulated.

Comment

I don't see any reason press in studs could not be used. I used thread in studs with Loctite because of ease of installation and I don't look to do any racing. With the exception of some German cars almost all cars use wheel studs with nuts. Why did Kia elect to use lug bolts?
        '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
        '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
        '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick the Quick View Post
          I don't see any reason press in studs could not be used. I used thread in studs with Loctite because of ease of installation and I don't look to do any racing. With the exception of some German cars almost all cars use wheel studs with nuts. Why did Kia elect to use lug bolts?
          In production, wheel bolts are cheaper than studs. But I don't know if that is the reason they do it.
          Both our MK5 Jettas and Mini Coopers S came with wheel bolts, which come loose when hot (racing). Headed and splined studs (pressed in from the back) are all we will use. Even in the Festivas.
          Last edited by Dragonhealer; 10-05-2018, 12:58 AM.
          No car too fast !

Comment

Hey Ryal, did you not at one time post a story about screw in studs coming loose on a race car? I have been running Gorilla screw ins with red 271? Loctite for 2 years of street driving with no problems.When I get around to getting the B6T car on the road I will look for press in studs.
            '88 Festiva LX 5 speed, A/C, Carb, restored $$$ body paint, badly wrecked @ 200k.
            '93 Festiva L, 5 speed, Aqua, bought from the original owner,.Zero rust but very nasty otherwise. Awaits the B6T.
            '91 Festiva L, 5 speed, bought to drive while putting the B6T in the '93. now B6ME powered.

Comment

Rick, the Jettas proved to be too much for the thread in studs when driven by a fast driver, of course that is a heavy car. Many people have success with them however.
              The ARP racing studs for Miata are a direct fit including for aspire, Mazda2, early Rio and others. For threaded hubs, drill and ream to the correct diameter and press in.
              No car too fast !

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonhealer View Post
                Rick, the Jettas proved to be too much for the thread in studs when driven by a fast driver, of course that is a heavy car. Many people have success with them however.
                The ARP racing studs for Miata are a direct fit including for aspire, Mazda2, early Rio and others. For threaded hubs, drill and ream to the correct diameter and press in.
                AU$60+ per wheel!! [emoji50] I might need to do this conversion soon, is there a cheaper alternative?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Comment

There is a Honda stud with the same dimensions, for which there is an aftermarket long racing stud set, at less than 1/2 the price.
                  I have used these to stud rear drums. Chinese studs in the front.....I haven't had the balls to try!
                  No car too fast !

Comment

you can use Volkswagen golf jetta lug bolts for 1/4 longer , ( make sure the front bolts are not too long and being in contact with the brake rotor )

Comment

Working...
                    X